Beinn a' Chuallaich

Beinn a' Chuallaich

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 56.73616°N / 4.15146°W
Additional Information County: Perthshire
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2927 ft / 892 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Beinn a Chuallaich

Ranked 32nd out of 221 Corbetts, 5th in Perthshire.

Beinn a' Chuallaich is a large upland mass in the Central Highlands of Scotland, near the village of Kinloch Rannoch. Gaining ground in the beautiful Strath Tummel, this Beinn is adjacent to the Schiehallion in the south and to the north rises from Glen Errochty. Four main ridges form this hill, along with two substantial coires and numerous satellite peaks.

Standing at 2927 ft makes this hill just feet shy of Munro status. By sheer land volume it is one of the largest Corbetts in the country. Awaiting at the summit is a handsome ten foot cairn that guards against the harshest of elements. The awarding 1729 ft of prominence renders to spectacular 360 degree views of neighboring glens and mountains.

Etymology

Summit Pillar

Beinn a' Chuallaich is translated as "Mountain of the Herding". An ancient Scottish Drovers road once transected the entire length of the hill. It was an extremely vital route for shepherds to bring livestock from pasture to market. In addition, Coire Labhrainn with it's high flanking ridges, made an ideal cattle herding bowl, allowing only the warm southern winds to penetrate.

Climbing

Craig Varr

Craig Varr is a truncated spur made up of metamorphic rock, mostly schist. It's south facing crag's make it a very popular stop for local climbers. It offers excellent class 3 scrambles, along with a few bolted routes.

Summit Route

South Ridge

The most popular ascent is from Kinloch Rannoch. The marked path entrance
"Hillside Trail" is a 1/2 mile east of the village. This takes you up the southwest ridge, with a total elevation gain of 2457 ft in 3 miles. The more direct and steeper ascent is up the south ridge from Dunalastair Water. The northeast ridge is another good way up, as it is adorned with wonderful views of Coire Odhar.

Hotels and Camping

Dunalastair Hotel

For a reasonable price of 160$, the Dunalastair Hotel is a great place to rest the bones after a long day in the hills. The hotel staff will make sure that your needs are well taken care of. Enquiry # 01882 632323

If you are not the hotel type, than Beinn a' Chuallaich's Coire Labhrainn is all yours for the taking. You should not have a hard time finding a nice sheltered camp site there.

Should bad weather arise there is a small bothy on the east side of the hill.

Map

Beinn a  Chuallaich

Getting There

On A9 just north of the town of Pitlochry, take the B 8019 exit toward Kinloch Rannoch. Stay on 8019 for 10 miles.