Betty and Ray's Adventure 5.6

Betty and Ray's Adventure 5.6

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.78359°N / 108.63353°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 3
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Betty and Ray's Adventure is an enjoyable multi-pitch climb off the beaten path. It is located on the Upper Sun Tower in Unaweep Canyon, western Colorado.
The rock is granite, and the route is usually climbed in 3 pitches. There are no fixed anchors on the route, and you can choose from many different variations. The descent is walk off.
The "Grand Junction Rock Rock Climbs of Unaweep Canyon and adjacent areas" by KC Baum rates it as Grade II, but we climbed that in less than 2 hrs, so I gave a rating I.

Unaweep canyonUnaweep Canyon from the Upper Sun Tower

Getting There

Betty and Ray's Adventure is located in Unaweep Canyon on the Upper Sun Tower.

Sun TowersUpper and Lower Sun Towers
- our climb starts at the top of the notch
between Upper and Lower Sun Towers
Unaweep MapUnaweep Map


The directions for Unaweep canyon are described in the main Unaweep Canyon page.

The approach trail for the Lower and Upper Sun Tower starts close to the mile marker 135 on Highway 141 (the only highway) going through the canyon. There is a small pullout parking lot located 0.25 miles east of the mile marker 135. The approach climbing trail is well signed, and along this trail are little signs pointing to different formations. The distance is about 0.35 miles, hiking time 15-20 min. The climb starts at the top of the notch between Lower and Upper Sun Tower.
Elevation: 7262 feet

Some Images from the approach trail

along the trail
Approach to Lower Sun Tower
Trails...
Lizards everywhere
another wooden man...


Route Description

First Pitch
Start Pitch 1
1st Pitch higher up
This pitch is about 35 to 40 meters long. Begins in the large left-facing dihedral. This is actually the most "difficult" section of the climb, it does get easier above it. You will see many small ledges to make your anchors.
Second Pitch
2nd pitch - scramble
Blooming cacti
This pitch is about 40 meters long. Follow the right side of the arete. Many different variations possible. This pitch seemed easier, about 5.5. Again, you will have to make your anchors on nice ledges you will be crossing.
Third Pitch
3rd pitch
And at the top
This pitch is about 45 meters long and only the lower section is climbing. It becomes more of a low 5th class scramble near the top. Again, no anchors here, but plenty of possibilities, including large trees.


Essential Gear

Nuts and hexes
Descent marked by a cairnDescent


Rock shoes, harness, rope (50 meter sufficient), protection. I forgot my camalots in the car, so lead only with nuts and hexes, used mostly large and medium sized ones. You do need gear to anchor yourself. Long slings are useful (I placed a sling around several large rocks and chockstones).
You should carry your approach shoes with you since the hike = descent back is about 15 min long.

External Links

Mountain Project description
Climbing Weather Unaweep


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.