Big Ice trekking

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Ice Climbing, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log
 Ice honeymoon in blue
Inside the ice cave!
 
One more window view
Starting the hike

The "Big Ice" Trekking is the best option to get to know Perito Moreno glacier in El Calafate/ Argentina. One of the most famous glaciers of the world.

Any agency at El Calafate offers the route daily, and the guide is required to do the trekking. The price is high, between $ 500.00 and $ 850.00 argentinian pesos each person, but you know what? It is worth it.

All the info about the glacier can be found at the left side of this page on the section "Parents", which contains the main page of the Perito Moreno Glacier.


Getting There

That is one thing you don`t have to worry about, the company you chose will drive you in and out, and drop you at the hotel when you`re done.

Route Description

 
Big ice 1
 
 
Big ice 2
 

This trekking leaves from “Bajo de las sombras” Port (Under the Shadows) early in the morning to board a craft that crosses the Rico Arm of Lake Argentino. After sailing for 15 minutes, the opposite shore is reached. At this point of the tour mountain guides escort the group towards the place where the crampons are fixed. Then a hike begins to approach the glacier from the southern moraine until a spectacular vantage point is reached, an entrance gate to heaven.

This is where the true adventure begins. Having fastened their crampons and put on their harnesses, adventurers will begin to explore the glacier from a different perspective. Here they will discover blue lagoons, deep and alarming cracks, huge drains and caves. Dimensions become almost unreal as they find themselves inside the core of the Perito Moreno, one of the most fascinating glaciers in the world.

Views of the route






That is a big peace of ice!

Essential Gear

>Crampons
>One ice axe for walking 65 to 75 cm.
>Helmet
>Waterproof jacket
>Warm clothing
>Waterproof pants
>Waterproof double boots
>Sunglasses
>Sunblock
>Lunch box

Legal Issues


To hike/ climb is a dangerous activity and requires proper equipment and clothing, the owner of this page cannot be blamed by injuries caused to anyone who read this page for its info about the mountain, and eventually got hurt by doing so with reckless behaviour or bad weather conditions.

Paulo Roberto Felipe Schmidt – AKA: PAROFES

External links

A brazilian website to get mountains info, including gps files to download:http://www.rumos.net.br/rumos/

My youtube channel: www.youtube.com/parofes
- Now with 270+ videos online!

The biggest brazilian website about climbing and mountaineering, for which I'm a columnist:

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

TreyDownhill - Jan 25, 2017 9:58 am - Voted 6/10

Spelling error

At the last photo of the glacier you said "peace of ice" instead of "piece"

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.