Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.78000°N / 82.26°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6581 ft / 2006 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Big Tom is one of the tallest peaks along the crest of the Black Mountains. Standing between Mount Craig and Balsam Cone, it is one of the toughest climbs along that high elevation spine. Big Tom is a must see for fans of the southern Appalachians, and has a vigorous new growth of recovering fraser firs. The mountain offers many wonderful vantage points from which to view the North Carolina high country, and the rest of the Black Mountains.

Getting There


Access to Mount Mitchell State Park is from the Blue Ridge Parkway. As of this writing (11-11-2004), the Blue Ridge Parkway to the north of Mitchell is closed due to severe damage from heavy rains. From Asheville, take the Blue Ridge Parkway to mile marker 355 and turn left onto NC 128 which leads up to Mount Mitchell State Park.

The trailhead to Mount Craig (and most of the other high Black Mountain peaks) is via Deep Gap Trail (aka Black Mountain Crest Trail, aka Forest Service Trail #179. The trailhead is located at the picnic area below the main parking lot on the top of Mount Mitchell.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Red Tape


None. No camping is allowed along the Deep Gap Trail inside the Mount Mitchell State Park. You have to drop out of the park down to Deep Gap to camp. Overnight campers along the trail need only register their vehicles if leaving them inside Mount Mitchell State Park.

The park is often closed during winter due to inclement weather.

When To Climb


All year. The winter weather is often severe on the highest peaks of the South, so come prepared for extreme snow and icing conditions if hiking in the colder months. The trails are extremely rugged and this area is very isolated. Don't underestimate the Black Mountains.

Camping


Yes. There is a semi-developed campground inside Mount Mitchell State Park on Commissary Ridge. Camping is also allowed along the Black Mountain Crest Trail outside the park boundaries.

Mountain Conditions


The online weather station for Mount Mitchell can be seen here

Trail Profile.


A profile of the trail from Mitchell to Winter Star can be found here

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Black MountainsMountains & Rocks