Birds of the Mores Creek Watershed

Birds of the Mores Creek Watershed

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Wildlife

Mores Creek

The Mores Creek Watershed is located northeast of Boise, Idaho in the Boise Mountains. Mores Creek originates in the pines between Pilot Peak and Freeman Peak at 7600 feet. The Creek flows for 39 miles southwest past Idaho City and Robie Creek before entering the Middle Fork of the Boise River (Lucky Peak Reservoir) at 3061 feet. Notable creeks that feed into Mores Creek include Granite, HooDoo, Bannock, Elk, Thorn, Minneha, Grimes, Dunnigan, Daggett, and Robie.

The Mores Creek watershed was the sight of hydraulic, placer, and dredge mining during the 1800's gold rush. The impact is still obvious and the aquatic life has suffered. There is a lack of a riparian environment along some parts of Mores Creek and native fish populations are minimal. This no doubt has some effect on birds and other animals in the area, but the impact is less clear.

However, the healthy parts of the Mores Creek watershed (where Ponderosa Pines, Douglas Firs, Sagebrush, Willows, Aspens, and Cottonwood trees grow) is host to a vast variety of birds. The ideal time for bird viewing in the area is April and May in the lower regions, and May and June in the upper reaches.

Feel free to add photos of birds in the Mores Creek area.




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
EricChu

EricChu - May 27, 2010 7:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Great album!

I enjoyed every minute while viewing this one, SawtoothSean!
Many greetings from Salzburg in Austria,
Eric

SawtoothSean

SawtoothSean - May 29, 2010 12:26 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks

Thank you Eric and I'm glad you enjoyed the album and could appreciate it.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.