Blueberry pickins on Dickerman

Blueberry pickins on Dickerman

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 22, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Blueberry pickins on Dickerman

Mount Dickerman


Mount Dickerman Views


It is time to get back to the hiking again!!! Most of the volcanoes now are out of season and I climbed a good bit of them. It has been a great summer so far and it is time for me to continue the journey through it. But now it is time is do some great hikes, scrambles, and hopefully a rock climb or two. This weekend, with my parents coming into town I decided on a simple dayhike with a couple fellow OSATer's. A couple weeks ago I suggested Mount Dickerman to my friend coming from Boston even though I hadn't gone up it yet, because I had heard of the great views. After hearing him rave about the hike, and seeing it on the OSAT calendar, I decided to give that hike a shot.

I went up to Mount Dickerman with my friends Joan and Olav. It was clear that the volcanoes had help Olav and I very much because none of us even sweated on this trail much. The switchbacks were easy to navigate and we were making a decent pace up the mountain. We had Joan lead because we figured she would be slower than us. She did well in setting pace and it was a nice easy walk up the switchbacks. In a little more then an hour we were out of the switchbacks and entering some of the delicious huckleberry and blueberry field.

Both the huckleberries and the blueberries are now prime and are good for the picking. While we were going up, I was having a field day with those delicious berries. What a delicious treat to have those awesome blueberries while hiking. Those berries as well as the beautiful views kept us motivated to press on.

We pressed on snacking on blueberries all the way up to the summit. As most have stated this is just a hike but the views on the summit are simply breathtaking. Vesper, Sperry, Del Campo dominate the south. Three Fingers and Whitehorse dominate the west, Glacier dominates the east and Mount Baker, which was half time hidden behind clouds lied to the north. There were some puffy clouds, but they didn't block the view much.

Mount Dickerman Views

Group shot!


We sat on the summit area and side summit area for an hour and then picked blueberries on the summit for another hour before heading down. It was great to see berries finally out. It looks like this year's crop is going to be pretty good. After enjoying our treats we decided to head back down the mountain.

Mount Dickerman Views

Mount Dickerman Views

Mount Dickerman Views


We picked up the pace heading down but still took the time to enjoy Mount Dickerman's views and the old growth forest we were traveling through. Like heading up, Olav and I felt as if this was a nice walk in the park. In a way Mount Dickerman reminds of Mount Defiance in both difficulty and and the scale of the mountain, though Mount Dickerman does have better views.

Soon we were back at our car and heading off our seperate ways. All of us brought home plenty of those delicious blueberries from Dickerman. What another great day in the mountains, and hopefully next week will be a repeat. I now am very glad I recommended Mount Dickerman to my friend and will recommend this hike to anyone. Awesome time, awesome friends, awesome berries and another summit down!!!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
gimpilator

gimpilator - Aug 25, 2009 2:05 am - Voted 10/10

Looks Like Fun

I'm glad to see you getting out on the Mountain Loop Highway. Dickerman was the first hike I did on the Mount Loop after Pilchuck and I have been back a couple times since. It's a wonderful area. Nice Report!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Dickerman MountainTrip Reports