Mount Dickerman Trail #710

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 48.06890°N / 121.46900°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 22, 2010
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Trailhead

Mountain Goats Mountain Goats...


MT Dickerman has always been known for it's 360 degree views of surrounding Northern Cascade peaks. But on Sunday, August 22, our chances of seeing this would be slim. There was a slow rain and lots of low clouds. The park ranger said that it would clear by mid-day. So my two friends and I set out on trail #710. The trail is all up hill, no straight ground. There are many switchbacks. You will pass several alpine meadows (remember to carry a whistle), with lush underbrush and tall furs. As you gain altitude, you will enjoy the clouds silently moving past and quickly getting a glimpse of the rugged terrain that surrounds this 'wilderness' area. About a quarter of a mile from the summit, we saw Mountain Goats across the way on the adjacent mountain (left of the trail). We started our hike at 10 am and hit the summit at just about 3 pm. On the summit the weather changed quickly and the freezing rain began to fall. With zero visibility of the surrounding area, put a damper on our hopes to ever viewing Glacier Peak, Vesper peak, Mt Baker, Mt Shuksan, Three Fingers, Mt Pugh, Whitehorse, and Del Campo Peak today. We spent about twenty minutes to eat and take photos. On our descent we encountered the sun peeking through, and arrived back at 6 pm to our car.
The three of us are going back in September when it is a sunny day....

Summary

The trail is in good condition, but the switchbacks are steep for about 3 miles. A great workout.

Trail #710About two miles from summit...


MT Dickerman Trail #710About two miles from summit...


MT Dickerman Trail #710


MT Dickerman Summit August 22, 2010On the summit..a 450 ft. drop behind me...


MT Dickerman Trail #710 descentDescending...


MT Dickerman Trail #710Descending...


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
gimpilator

gimpilator - Aug 24, 2010 4:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Soggy Weather

A great way to make the best of less than perfect weather. Thanks for writing a trip report. I attached it to the Mount Dickerman page.

Elizabeth Riggin

Elizabeth Riggin - Aug 24, 2010 10:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Soggy Weather

Thanks for attaching my report! (I didn't mind the weather...but did take a risk in not seeing the views. LOL)

EricChu

EricChu - Sep 3, 2010 6:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Very good report!

Very good work you did here, dear Elizabeth! Yes yes - the weather can't be perfect at all times...but you got some very nice pictures out of that hike all the same!
A big hug,
Eric

Viewing: 1-3 of 3

Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Dickerman MountainTrip Reports