Brunswick Mountain Trail

Brunswick Mountain Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.29000°N / 123.11°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: hike up with some class II-III sections
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Brunswick is located 40km north of downtown Vancouver. To get there head north on Highway 99 to Lions bay. Once you reach Lion's Bay turn right on Oceanview drive and then left on Cross Creek Rd. Continue on the road across harvey Creek until you reach Centre Rd. where you will take a right. From there take a left on Bayview followed by another left onto Mountain Dr. Again turn left on Sunset where you will come across the gate that marks the trailhead and bars further progress.
***Additional parking can be found at Lions Bay Elementary School 1km back along the road

Route Description


This is one of the most demanding hike in the Vancouver area so please don't underestimate it. You are asked to climb 1550m (5100ft) in around 7-10 hours so this is by no means a walk in the park.
Take the old logging road from the gate for 15 minutes or so until you reach a fork. From here follow to the right for an additional 45 minutes until you reach the next fork where you will take a left (the trail is marked with orange and pink markers). From there the road crosses magnesia Creek and the trail begins to steepen. At around 1000m the raod stops and turns into a winding trail. You will soon come to another fork, take the right trail, the trail steepens again here, but the view starts to open up. The trail follows several swithcbacks through the trees until you reach Brunswick's shoulder. You can look out over Howe Sound and see the Sechelt Peninsula as well as the coastal islands.

Head east on the trail, as previously mentioned the final 1.2km to the summit is steep and exposed (even in summer it is advisable to bring an ice axe). The trail stays just to the right of the crest, before moving to the left and avoiding a steep, dangerous scree slope. As you near the summit take the trail to the left for the best views and to reach the summit proper

Essential Gear


An ice axe would be a good idea even into early July (crampons if it is Spring). Otherwise sturdy boots, sun screen, 3-4l of water and trekking. As always because you are in Vancouver and in the mountains bring rain gear and some warm clothes (just in case) and you should be golden.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.