OverviewEl Cabeçó d'Or is a beautiul mountain located in Alicante province (Spain), a few kilometers to the northeast of Alicante town.
Despite of the spanish name commonly used, Cabezo de Oro (in english Gold Hill), its real name should be Cabezo de Agua (Water Hill) due the great amount of groundwater that could be found in the past, in fact, the term “or” (gold) is a valencian adaptation of “ur”, water in Iberian language.
Its height is 1207m / 3960 ft above sea level and its orientation is N-S. Because of the calcareous substrate (like everywhere in Alicante) and the groundwater, in this mountain abounds the subterranean complex, like Canelobre Caves.
Almost all of the routes goes by the south face, perfectly visible from the nearby town of Alicante.
El Cabeçó d'Or combines magnificiently some tracks of hiking, a few routes of sport climbing and lots of routes of traditional climbing.
Getting ThereFROM ALICANTE
Take the A-7 highway to exit 67, N-340 and CV-773 to Busot and follow the Canalobre's caves indications until a right curve with a litlle parking to the left (Lat 38.5161 / Long -0.4141). If you follow the road, you will find the Canelobre's caves in about 400m.
Human signsIn this mountain we can see a lot of signs of ancestral traditions
- Two abandoned mines, one is near the parking and the other one is near the summit.
- Farming houses, like Racó de Seva and Casa del Polzet (abandoned)
- A snow well near Casa del Polzet, in really bad conditions.
- A cave-house in the middle of the ascension.
The Canelobre CavesThe Canelobre Caves are located in the Cabeçó d’Or south face at an altitude of 700m. There is evidence that they were discovered by Muslims in 740 AD.
Morphologically, it seems like a great modernist cathedral (70m high) with lots of stalagmites and stalactites that mimic the most varied objects (chandeliers, the elephant head, the centurion helmet,…).
They are sound and lit artificially and can be visited. Because of its excellent acoustic, is used for holding concerts. During the Spanish Civil War they are used as aircraft engines or weapons factories.
Climbing sectorsThe principal climbing sectors are three; Pared de los Alcoyanos, Sector Desplome & Peña de Alicante:
PARED DE LOS ALCOYANOS ROUTES (Trad climbing)
- La arista (6a+/A1 - 205m)
- Directa a la arista (6a/A2 - 185m)
- Fritz Ullrich (6b/A1+ - 195m)
- Murciana (6a/A2 - 215m)
- Horrible superior (6b/A2 - 220m)
- Lupercalia (7a+/A1 - 220m)
- Zarabandarra (6c+ - 220m)
- Ricardo Corazón de León (6a/A1+ - 150m)
- La Gene (IV+ - 260m)
- El Don de Volar (6c+ - 220m)
- Bubines (6c/A0 - 200m)
- Chica Sputnik (6b - 210m)
- Coco Liso (6b - 215m)
- Rafael Gutierrez (V+ - 200m)
- Vía de las chapas rojas/blancas (6a+ - 90m)
- Indomable (8a - 60m)
- Hombres de acero (7b+ - 70m)
- Mapaju (6b/A1 - 110m)
- Patricia rítmica (6a+/A2 - 220m)
- Torreón de la mina (V+/A2 - 190m)
- El libro de Eibon (V+ - 80m)
- Caronte aguarda (A3+ - 90m)
- Diedro Cipol (V+ - 30m)
- Espolón Cipol (6c - 180m)
- Diedro del Pou (6a - 50m)
- Delicatessen (6b+ - 150m)
- El Cabeça (V+/A1 - 230m)
- Ojo de halcón (V/A0 - 205m)
- Navarro-Giner (6a - 270m)
- Chorro-Pomares (6b/A1 - 305m)
- La sombra de sol (6a+/A1 - 300m)
- Directa Agulló-Pomares (6a/A2+ - 310m)
- Fardachos (6a/A1+ - 155m)
- La austriaca (6c/A0 - 165m)
- La boira (IV+ - 220m)
SECTOR DESPLOME ROUTES (Sport climbing)
- Todos contra el fuerte (8a+ - 40m)
- Rocinante (7c - 30m)
- Superrocinante (8b - 40m)
- Sensación de pinzar (7c - 30m)
- Supersensación de pinzar (8a - 40m)
- Aromas del Cabezón (8a+ - 44m)
- 27 primaveras (8a - 36m)
- Terra (7c+ - 34m)
- Danza Mora (8a - 40m)
- Clemencia (8b - 26m)
- Columneta (8a - 40m)
- Pasión (8a+ - 40m)
- Dragoste (7a+ - 30m)
- Pitulicha (6c+ - 30m)
- Pitulichón (7c+ - 48m)
- Usuara (6b+ - 30m)
- Foarte Usuara (7a - 48m)
- Fiager (7a+ - 30m)
- Trío de ases (7c+ - 30m)
PEÑA DE ALICATE ROUTES (Trad climbing)
- Lucrecia (V+ - 170m)
- El reino de los cielos (6a/A2 - 185m)
- Alicia en el Pais Vertical (6b/A1 - 280m)
- Comprad er fancine ar Michel (6a - 245m)
- Variante "Universitat d'Alacant" (6a - 40m)
- Notario (6b - 70m)
- Arista Agulló (IV+ - 240m)
- Variante de entrada "Cloti" (V+ - 60m)
- Hipertensión (6b/A1 - 140m)
- Walker la invencible (6c/A1 - 160m)
- La nena está llorando (6b+/Ae - 245m)
- Espolón Paiju (6b - 210m)
- Variante de entrada "Superdirecta" (6b+/A0 - 40m)
- Treblinca (6c/A1 - 165m)
More information is available in this website
Red TapeThere is no special restrictions in this mountain.
CampingThe nearest campings are located in Playa de San Juan (Alicante).
Free camping is not allowed in Comunidad Valenciana.
WeatherThe weather we can enjoy in this area is typically mediterranean, with lots of sun and a few cold/rainy days in the year. Sometimes we can find snow, but it's very rare.
If you need a prediction to 5 days, you can see this website
What can we see from the summit?
External linksCanelobre caves