Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.62344°N / 122.6028°W
Additional Information County: Napa
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1600 ft / 488 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 
Sunset on the Palisades
Palisades from "Calistoga Ridge"
This is the first hill encountered when starting up the Calistoga Grade (Hwy 29) out of Napa Valley. The road runs along the east slope winding up to the pass next to Mt. St. Helena. This smaller peak holds its' own while surrounded by much higher ones. It is a short scramble right off the road. The views of Napa Valley and Mt. St Helena are noteworthy and the views of the Palisades is arguably the best.

Getting There

 
Mt. St. Helena from  Calistoga Ridge.
Mt. St. Helena from "Calistoga Ridge"
From Middletown: Take Hwy 29 south 13.9 miles up over the pass and down. to a shady pullout off to the left and park.
From Calistoga: From the junction of Hwy 128 and Hwy 29 at Calistoga take Hwy 29 3.6 miles through the town a left up to the shady pullout on the right.

Route

 
First rock outcrop along the ridge
First big rock along the ridge
Take care crossing Hwy 29. Traffic comes barreling around the nearby turns.

Simply cross the road and start up the grassy south ridge beyond an old busted down fence. A short ways up rock outcrops dominate the route, then more grassy open areas. Then more class 2-3 rock is encountered. Maybe a little bushwhacking. The peak has 3 high points. The first is open hillside (1,530'). The second and higher one to the north is class 3 rock outcrop (1,575'). The highpoint a few hundred yards north of that has a few trees and rock formations (1,600+') but no climbing.

Round trip is about 3 miles with 1,000' of gain coming and going.

Red Tape

 
Looking south along the ridge
Middle summit rocks left looking south along the ridge
This not part of Robert Louis Stevenson State Park. Appears to be private property. But there are no signs or fences and there are little use trails all over the hill. I don't think anyone is concerned about keeping hikers out of the area. The only people you're likely to see are the ones on the road below.

When to Climb

 
Palisades from  Calistoga Ridge
Palisades from "Calistoga Ridge"
Spring or fall for best weather. It can get very hot in summer and Hwy 29 from the north could get snowed in at the pass (2,300') in winter.

Camping

Click on this link for Robert Louis Stevenson State Park and for an overview of the area and click on camping.

Current weather and forecast

Click here for the weather and 10 day forecast.