Canyon Creek Slabs

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.22992°N / 115.24462°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.7 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log


Overview

Nearby Canyon Creek Slabs...

The Canyon Creek Slabs section is a prominent area of solid rock on the lower slopes of Canyon Creek Point.  The slabs are clearly visible from ID-21 and are 1.1 miles due east of the summit.  With just a 10-15 minute steep scramble to the base of these impressive slabs,  great potential for rock route development exists, and this area would make an excellent climb stop for a few hours after spending time in the Sawtooths.  A reconnaissance trip discovered that the rock was as solid as it looks from afar, requires a funky 10 foot overhang to start most slabs, would require a bolt kit for the face or slabs sections, has 2 or 3 decent cracks for trad routes, and most routes would be able to be scrambled off of from the tops.

Getting There

Nearby Canyon Creek Slabs

From the Boise Area, Follow Idaho-21 from Lowman toward Stanley. The Canyon Creek Slabs are 6.0 miles from the Grandjean Road. If approaching from the Sun Valley / Stanley Area, the turnout to park is 5.8 miles from Banner Summit.
Road Closures and restrictions exist during the winter. 

 

 

Check the road conditions at:Idaho Transportation Department

Essential Gear

First Ascent and route naming possibilities exist, for now. Besides pitons, nuts, and cams, a bolt kit may be handy along with several ropes.

SW Ridge Route






Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.