Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.95902°N / 119.21144°W
Additional Information County: Mono
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11282 ft / 3439 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Canyon Peak south to Mt. Dana massifMt. Dana massif from Canyon Peak west slope
Canyon Peak (unnamed on topo) rises above the north side of Lee Vining Canyon 2 miles northeast of Tioga Peak. The peak is of little significance from the north with barely 300' of prominence on it's northeast slope. From the south or west it is another matter. Situated on the edge of Lee Vining Canyon to the south with the west slope rising above Warren Canyon it has good views of the Tioga Pass high country including the Sierra crest. There are jaw dropping views, perhaps the best, of the Mt. Dana massif rising almost 6,000' from Lee Vining Canyon and extensive views down range as far as the Mammoth Lakes peaks. The west slope can be skied or is a class 2 scramble that can be done in a few hours from Warren Canyon and well worth the effort!

Getting There

Highway 120 winding up to Tioga PassStart of hike off Hwy. 120 going to Tioga Pass
From the junction with Hwy. 395 take Hwy. 120 west up to a hairpin turn at 7.5 miles and park on the right at the trailhead to Warren Canyon at 9,000'.
From Tioga Pass go northeast 6.7 miles on Hwy. 120 as it winds down to the same trailhead.
From the trailhead scramble northeast up the west slope through brush then sparse forest. The last 1,000' is open terrain to the summit.
The south slope which is steeper and more rugged and possibly class 4 at the top could be scramble from about 8,500' off Hwy 120 6.5 miles west of Hwy. 395.

Red Tape

Canyon Peak south and west panoSouth and west pano from Canyon Peak
This hike is in Inyo National Forest and there are no permits required.

Camping

Tioga Peak from Canyon Peak west slope Tioga Peak from Canyon Peak west slope
Here are several campgrounds in the area.
Tioga Lake: 1.5 miles north of Tioga pass on Hwy. 120 off to the right at 9,600'.
Ellery Lake: 2.5 miles north on Hwy. 120 off to the right at 9,500'.

There is also the Big Bend, Aspen and several other campgrounds in Lee Vining Canyon starting at 2 miles west of the junction of Hwy. 395 on Hwy. 120 off to the left at 7,200'.

Current weather and 5 day forecast

Tioga Crest, west from Canyon Peak west slope West from Canyon Peak west slope to the Tioga Crest
For current weather and forecast for Lee Vining click here.