Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.91922°N / 119.28071°W
Additional Information County: Tuolumne
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11091 ft / 3381 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Gaylor Lakes from the northGaylor Lakes and Tioga Spur (right) from the north
"Tioga Spur" is a small unnamed peak slightly less than a mile west of Gaylor Peak in the Tioga Pass area of the Yosemite high country. Unlike Gaylor Peak which is composed of metamorphic rock the Spur is an extension of the typical granite that makes up most of the peaks along the northern Yosemite Sierra crest. This peak stands out as a simple pyramid from most angles even though it has only 230' of prominence to the northwest where if connects with the main crest. It sits across from the picturesque Gaylor Lakes and makes for an easy half day class 2 scramble with plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. The views from this very accessible peak rival if not exceed those that it's popular neighbor Gaylor Peak are known for.

Getting There

Tioga Spur southwest panoSouthwest pano from Tioga Spur
From Hwy. 395 go west 12 miles on Hwy. 120 as it winds up to Tioga Pass. At the pass take the Gaylor Lakes Trail to the west as it climbs up to the saddle south of Gaylor Peak and drops down to the first lake at .75 miles. Tioga Spur is obvious a half mile to the west. Stroll across this beautiful area of streams and lakelets and take the class 2 south or east slope to the summit.

Red Tape

Cathedral Range from Gaylor LakesCathedral Range from Gaylor Lakes
If you approach from within Yosemite National Park there is a 20 dollar fee per vehicle good for 7 days. If you come from the the east you can park just before Tioga Pass and avoid paying the park fee. There are no permits required for day hiking.
For camping permits within Yosemite National Park click here

Camping

Southeast from Tioga SpurSoutheast from Tioga Spur
Campgrounds in the area are:
Tioga Lake, 1.5 miles north of Tioga Pass on the east side of Hwy. 120 at 9,600'
Ellery Lake, 2.3 miles north of Tioga Pass on the east side of Hwy. 120 at 9,500'
The northwest junction of Hwy. 120 and the Saddlebag Lake Road at 9,600'
Sawmill Campground, 1.8 miles north on the Saddlebag Lake Road at 9,750'
Saddlebag Lake, at the south end of the lake above the fishing store and parking lot at 10,000'
There are also the Big Bend, Aspen and several other campgrounds in Lee Vining Canyon starting at 2 miles in from 395 off of Hwy. 120 to the left at 7,200'.

Yosemite current weather and road conditions

For current road and weather conditions click here.