Caruthers Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.26000°N / 115.308°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the parking area at about 1,740 meters, start walking north along the primitive road. The road passes by some rugged rock formations. Continue up the road about a mile or so until you reach an abandoned mine site at about 1,850 meters.

Route Description

Leave the road at the mine, and start bushwhacking northwest up a rugged gully. One guidebook says this is at a 295-degree bearing. You will see a prominent rock pinnacle before you, which is just east of the New York Two highpoint. Climb up the rocky and brushy slope, keeping this pinnacle on your right. As you climb higher, the rugged New York Two highpoint will come into view. Climb up to the base of the highpoint, then traverse across the rugged and brushy terrain on the south and west sides of it. Continue climbing until you reach a notch on the northwest side of the highpoint. This notch is shown on the right skyline of Photograph A in the Keystone Canyon Route.

Once you reach the notch, you will start climbing up some large boulders. Then, just below the summit, you should see a slanting Class 3 crack above you. This crack is identified as the "Last Chute" in the other route description. This is the crux of the climb. Climb up the crack about 30' or so to the small summit. This section is a little tricky and somewhat exposed, but it isn't too difficult. However, some people may want a rope here. Once at the top, you will realize that there are actually two highpoints of essentially equal elevation separated by a small bowl. You can scramble over to the other highpoint in a minute or two, but there is one steep little cliff that you will have to deal with.

Hiking Distance: 4 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: 560 meters.






Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.