Champney Falls

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.95220°N / 71.2729°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike with scramble on top
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1, 2 (final leg of Mt. Chocorua)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

VIA CHAMPNEY FALLS TRAILHEAD: From Conway take the Kancaumaugus Highway roughly eleven miles west. The Champney Falls Trailhead will be on your left.

Route Description



From Mt. Chocorua looking...



The Champney Falls Route is the easiest route up to the top of Mt. Chocorua. The route also comes with the extra the benefits of Champneys Falls on the way up. It was one of the more popular hikes in the White Mountains due to it being so much easier that the Piper trail and because of the beautiful waterfalls. It is also a highly recommend path to ascend Mt. Chocorua in winter. The trail is only moderate 10-20 pitch throughout most of the trek and there are only a couple of icy dropoffs in winter.

The northern horizon from Mt....



The route which begins the Kancamgus Highway and heads up a gredual path. At roughly a mile and a half there is a side trail to Champney Falls (use caution on the trail to the falls it does contain ledges and can result in injury). That trail rejoins the Champney Falls trail 0.3 miles later and the gradaul climb continues until reaching switchback roughly two and a half miles from the trailhead. The switchback continue until reaching the height of land on the trail where there is a trail intersection at three miles.

The western horizon from Mt....



The Champney Falls Trail then converges with the Piper Trail for what is at a very level path toward the summit of Chocorua. The trails hits the treeless area roughly a half mile form the trail intersection and begins a more moderate climb to the top. From here this trek and be very tricky in winter . The last pitch up the gully to the summit of Chocorua is a class 2 pitch but adds great appeal to this hike. From the top incredible views can be seen from this mountain.

Essential Gear

The summer just requires essential hiking gear. in winter both snowshoes and crampons are highly recommended.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.