Piper Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.95220°N / 71.2729°W
Additional Information Route Type: HIke
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Back road behind Davie's General Store on route 16, leads to Piper Trailhead, take this all the way up. It is a $3 charge for parking here.

Route Description


The trail is 4.5 miles from base to summit, well marked the whole way by orange lines and arrows. You will start off, walking through woods at the base of the mountain. By the first half mile, you will probably see the mosquitoes in full force, so make sure to bring bug spray. A mile or so into the trail, you will take the first of two wooden foot-bridges going over beautiful mountain streams. WARNING: DO NOT DRINK THE WATER! It is unclean and unsafe for human consumption, clear as it may look. You will continue an excruciating climb through the woods, excruciating because, as much elevation as you gain, you won't break above the treetops until the last 1 1/2 miles, and therefore have no idea how much progress you have made. Finally, after you cross the treeline, you will have a clear view of the summit, and have only a moderate 1 1/2 mile climb to go. On the way down, you will pass a bad-weather route, although it goes down the opposite side of the mountain, keep this in mind as an alternative if the weather gets ugly. Keep in mind that it is about a 30 minute ascent (longer on wet rocks), to get down from the exposed rock face into the forest that will provide at least a little shelter. Anyways, the summit I assume has incredible views in all directions, but I climbed the mountain on a hazy day, so I couldn't see much.

After climbing the mountain, for a nice cool-off, head on route 16 south for another 3 or so miles and take a swim in Chocura lake, with a perfect view of the peak you just summited.

Piper trail statistics:
4.5 miles each way
2,700 foot ascent
My estimate on time: 5 hours (but leave time for breaks, and time on the summit)

Essential Gear


I have read the crampons and an ice axe are necessary... although I don't want to break any copyright laws here.... so look elsewhere if you plan to climb in the winter.

Just bring a lot of water, and some good food to celebrate with on the summit. Also remember warmer clothes (rain jacket and pants) in case the summit doesn't have the best water.

A topo-map and compass are advised, although the trail is well marked and this is a well-climbed trail.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.