Chisos Mountains from Northeast

Chisos Mountains from Northeast

The mountain range in background right is the Chisos, seen from the northeast. I believe the mountain in foreground left is Nugent, but I've messed up my notes on this shot. Feel free to correct me. If that's right, then the visible entrance into the Chisos from this angle would be Pine Canyon. There's a 4WD road that goes much of the way into that canyon before being gated off and becoming a trail. (It's around the left of Nugent here and then up behind Nugent toward the Chisos.) Enlarge the photo to see where the route lies. That's an alternative route into the Chisos from the usual Chisos Basin trails. It would provide access to some peaks on the northeast side that would be a long slog with bushwhacking from Chisos Basin (Panther, Wright, and Pummel, none of which have SP pages). There are no maintained trails anywhere near those peaks so I'm sure there's some bushwhacking no matter what you do. Truchas has a page for the Pine Canyon Trail but he's only been on the upper portions, coming from the other side. I didn't go up the 4WD road in my rental subcompact. So there is room for some SP exploring here. January 2010.
Arthur Digbee
on Feb 1, 2010 6:22 pm
Image Type(s): Scenery
Image ID: 593671

Comments

No comments posted yet.