Chopicalqui revisited

Chopicalqui revisited

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing, Flora, Informational, Scenery, Panorama, Water

Second chance

It was down to the final week of my long Peruvian vacation when I met up with Mark, a Scottish climber. He had climbed Alpamayo and QUitaraju, I was fresh from Huascarán Sur.
We talked a bit and pretty quickly settled on Chopicalqui. A few weeks earlier I had already been there with a local guide, but recent snow had wiped out the route on that occasion, and we wasted a lot of time to find it again - so much so, that we decided to turn back. Unfortunately, we didn't bring enough food to scout part of the route and climb it the next day, so that was it.

Normally, Chopicalqui requires four days, but to improve our chances, we brought food for six. As that made our bags rather heavy, we hired two porters to carry our stuff. Although the start was a bit delayed, everything worked out perfectly after that, and after summiting early on the third day, we were back in the town of Yungay in time for dinner.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.