hgrapidOdd

hgrapid

I could have sworn their was already a Chugach Mountains page, but now it is gone. Was this a replacement of the old one?

Good start, by the way. This is an awesome range. Where does it rise to 13,167 feet???
Posted Feb 1, 2010 11:21 am

NatestationRe: Odd

It seemed like there was an album for the Chugach Mountains, but no information to go along with it. The range rises to 13,167 at Mount Marcus Baker (farther east, north of College Fjiord and the origin point of Knik Glacier and its river).
Posted Feb 1, 2010 4:14 pm

Steve GruhnA Few Comments

Not a bad start to a great mountain range. However, your focus seems to be largely on Chugach State Park, which is but one small part of the greater Chugach Mountains. You might consider segregating the Chugach Mountains into three areas - the Western Chugach Mountains (Chugach State Park and areas west of the Twentymile River and Lake George), the Eastern Chugach Mountains (the areas east of the Copper River), and the rest of the Chugach Mountains. Much of the regulations you cite are applicable to portions of the Western Chugach Mountains, but not in the other areas. For example, you state that target shooting is strictly prohibited. This is only true of Chugach State Park. Much of the Chugach Mountains is open to target shooting. You also state that campfires are only allowed along Eklutna Lake. In fact, campfires are allowed throughout the Chugach Mountains, with the exception of most of Chugach State Park. Within Chugach State Park, campfires are allowed in established fire pits and on gravel bars below the high water mark. You might also reference the Matanuska-Susitna Borough Parks Department parking fees at Pioneer Ridge, Lazy Mountain, and Matanuska Peak. There are also numerous hiking trails in the Chugach Mountains near Valdez, Cordova, Chitina, Lazy Mountain, Butte, and Knik River.
Posted Feb 1, 2010 2:03 pm

NatestationRe: A Few Comments

Thanks for the info. I wrote that page last night at about 4am :) You're dead on with your points. I'll make sure to get it all updated. It is a amazing mountain range.
Posted Feb 1, 2010 4:08 pm

EricChuGood page!

EricChu

You took a lot of pains for detail, and that satellite photo was a very good idea!
Posted Feb 1, 2010 5:40 pm

NatestationRe: Good page!

Thank you. Still a long way to go before its where I want it to be though :)
Posted Feb 7, 2010 12:12 am

NatestationRe: Good Start, but...

I agree! Thanks for taking the time to look at my page.
Posted Feb 7, 2010 12:11 am

chugach mtn boyLink

chugach mtn boy

Nate, there was an album by Mark May that functioned for several years as, effectively, the page for the Chugach Range. This will serve that role better, but I think you should link to the album from your page. Here is the url: http://www.summitpost.org/album/170914/chugach-mountains.html
Posted Feb 2, 2010 6:31 pm

Arthur DigbeeRe: Link

Arthur Digbee

Good idea. Nate can also use the photos in that album to help populate this page -- ideally with a PM to the original contributor.
Posted Feb 4, 2010 9:47 am

NatestationRe: Link

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm working on posting photos as I have oppertunity. What is a PM?
Posted Feb 7, 2010 12:11 am

Arthur DigbeeRe: Link

Arthur Digbee

PM = private message.
Posted Feb 7, 2010 11:53 am

FlatheadNativeMore photos and maps needed

FlatheadNative

to warrant a 10 vote in my opinoin.
Posted Feb 5, 2010 1:32 am

NatestationRe: More photos and maps needed

I agree. Thanks for your input!
Posted Feb 7, 2010 12:10 am

chugach mtn boyProgress

chugach mtn boy

Great to see the additions you are making. My hat is off to you for tackling the huge task of creating a Chugach Range page, which nobody else has willing to take on. It'll take time to build it up. PM me if you'd like help on any pieces. One day, it might be nice to develop an overall range page along the lines of the kind Gangolf Haub does, like this:
with maybe a linked sub-page for Chugach State Park.
Posted Feb 6, 2010 2:50 pm

NatestationRe: Progress

Thanks for your vote of confidence. If I realized what a project I was about to create, I probably wouldn't have started. It seems to be coming along well, however. I would welcome any imput that you might have. I am curious, what is PM'ing, and how do I go about doing it? That Alps page is amazing. If I get a Chugach page half as good as that I think I could be satisfied with my work!
Posted Feb 7, 2010 12:09 am

chugach mtn boyProgress

chugach mtn boy

One way to PM is to click on somebody's username so that you go to their profile, then near the photo you should see "send joeblow a private message." At the very top of all SP pages when you are signed in, you should see a link for "inbox" ... that's where incoming PMs will be. It's a better place to converse about things that aren't of general interest, since "comments" like this stay on a page forever (unless we actively delete them).

And yes, Gangolf's pages are humbling! But even Gangolf would find this one a challenge, since the Chugach is as extensive a range as the entirety of the Washington Cascades or the whole country of Switzerland.
Posted Feb 7, 2010 12:20 pm