Church Fork - Ya gotta try this warmup hike!

Church Fork - Ya gotta try this warmup hike!

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 10, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

The nicest little warmup hike in town. (Literally, almost right in town.)

Trailhead WaterfallWaterfall at the trailhead.
Mountain Mahogany and WildflowersBeautiful Mountain Mahogany trees.
This is the nicest little warmup hike on the Wasatch front. It is literally two minutes from Salt Lake City about three miles up Millcreek Canyon. You know what it is going to be like when you see waterfalls and water features like this right at the trailhead. We hiked this one with the entire family the day after some major thunderstorms. The trail was moist, packed and cool with no dust. The first half is shady and easy with unbelievable greenery and water features. Once out of the trees, there are wildflowers, mountain mahogany trees and a few scattered pines. This time of year the aroma from both is sweeet! Up above the Parley's saddle you get excellent panoramic views of Parleys, Mount Olympus, Mountain Dell and Little Dell reservoirs, Great Salt Lake, Antelope Island, and not least, Salt Lake Valley from top to bottom.
Mount Olympus PanoramaMount Olympus
Here's another panoramic view of the backside of the summit to the north and east.
backside panoramaBackside panorama view to the north and east.
Yeah, we made it to the top in a little over two hours. It's a great place to have lunch and a little picnic. Hey, check this out. At the summit there is a canister with a summit log for all to sign in. One pretty good indicator of the beauty of this spot is that a few days prior to our arrival, yes indeedy, there was a wedding party and ceremony on the summit. (8,300 ft. elevation.) I told you this was a great hike.
The best reason of all.The Best Reason of all to take this Hike.
Take the whole dang family and the dog too, (don't forget the leash and doo doo bag..... for the dog) and do this one together! 3 miles up. 3 miles down. 2,400 ft. Unbelievable greenery and shade for the first half. Excellent panoramic scenery near the top. Find your home in Salt Lake City (if you live there) from the summit. If you look closely, you can also barely see the tip of Lone Peak in the distance above Olympus. (Yeah, ya gotta do THAT one too.) Go ahead! This warmup hike is not to be missed.

June 10, 2006.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
tmtn93

tmtn93 - Mar 29, 2009 2:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice

Hey nice trip report there, I enjoyed watching the pictures and reading your story!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Grandeur PeakTrip Reports