Church Scramble

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.92700°N / 121.881°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the Church Mt trailhead at 2300', ascend switchbacks to 4600' where the trail flattens and traverses west around the basin of Dearhorn Creek. Cross the creek and continue to the west above tree line. Complete a few more switchbacks to finsih the trail portion to an old lookout just east of the true summit.

Route Description

The true summit is a moderate scramble, not a hike. But of your 4100' day, it accounts for very little time and elevation gain. From the lookout, head north on a scrambler's trail and descend into the basin on the right side (north). Traverse northwest past the last gendarme toward the notch in the ridge. Cross the ridge to the other side (south) and traverse 80' to a steep gully. Cross the gully about 100 yards to a small platform and well marked cairn. Scramble up 40' trending right to the top of the ridge. You can continue on the ridge with one down climbing situation or you can take the easy way out back on the north side of the ridge to the true summit.

I made a variation on return. This route will require some free 5.6 climbing on loose rock, but is more enjoyable (for an experienced climber) then descending back down to the scree. I took the ridge back all the way and had more fun then any of the above. Up and down, but nothing to technical for a moderate to difficult scramble. There is always exposure when doing a route like this of course.

Essential Gear

Hiking boots...dog...wife....camera..lunch....bottle of wine...the lookout makes a great picnic...


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.