Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 34.81858°N / 111.79198°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

 
Church Spires

 




The Church Spires area is named after the “Chapel of the Holly Cross”, a popular tourist landmark in Sedona. Chapel of the Holly Cross is a church that is built into a significant rock formation with a huge cross as its anchor. Up and to the east on a ridge are a variety of red towers. These make up the “Four Flying Horsemen of the Apocalypse". From left to right they are named the North Tower, Minister and Pulpit, Christianity and the Streaker. To the left of these towers is Trundlers Club Buttress which is more of a wall than a buttress. Other towers in the same vicinity include Blow Job Rock, Devil’s Thumb and the Watchtower.



 
Trundlers Club Buttress, 5.10d

 


The climbing at Church Spires is fairly stout on typical desert tower sandstone with most routes falling in the 5.11 range. Trundlers Club Buttress the route (5.10d) is one of the more popular moderates and was established in 2001. Mission to Mars (on the wall behind the church aka Planetarium) is a bolted route that gets one on line review of “best 5.12d in Arizona”. Pussy Mind Trick, to the right of Trundlers Club, is a stellar 5.11d with gear and fixed pro.



Locate the local tourist attraction in Sedona known as the Chapel of the Holly Cross, a church built into a local rock formation at the end of Chapel Road right off highway 179 in Sedona. Park at a small pullout on the north side of Chapel road before the entrance to the private church road. Hike up the road to the chapel. For the towers to the east and Trundlers Club Buttress, catch a public hiking trail on the right side before reaching the final bend into the church. Follow this trail as it dead ends into another trail. Turn left and follow this main trail as it heads toward the ridge containing the towers to the east.

Objectives

 
 Trundlers Club Buttress, 5.10d

 




 
Trundlers Club Buttress, 5.10d

 
 
Trundlers Club Buttress, 5.10d

 


  • Beach Crags, 5.9-5.12
  • Two walls, upper and lower. Trad and sport single pitch



  • Planetarium, 5.11-5.13
  • , Sport single pitch



  • Church and Religion Walls, 5.8-5.11
  • , Trad climbing



  • The Streaker
  • , North Face, 5.7+, 4 Pitches, Easiest Climb



  • Christianity Tower
  • , Blast from the Past, 5.10, 5 Pitches, Largest Tower



  • Minister and the Pulpit,
  • Praying Hands, 5.11, 2 Pitches, Off-Width



  • North Tower,
  • West Face (Good Friday), 5.12, 3 Pitches, Roof with Tips Crack



  • Trundlers Club Buttress, 5.10d-5.11d
  • , Two well protected routes, fixed and trad, side by side

    External Links

  • Sedona



  • Best Coffee



  • Most Convenient Internet Access




  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Red Rocks-Sedona AreaAreas & Ranges
     
    Sedona Spire ClimbsAreas & Ranges