Cislano Earth Pyramids

Cislano Earth Pyramids

Page Type Page Type: Custom Object
Location Lat/Lon: 45.75232°N / 10.10849°E
Additional Information Object Type: earth pyramids

Overview

Earth pyramids near Cislano
Earth pyramids near Cislano

Being so fascinated by earth pyramids, I have recently visited the last important group of them in Eastern Alps, sothern part. The colourful, red pyramids of Ritten/Renon are the biggest and the most beautiful group, The Segonzano group have some of the most artistic specimen of pyramids and the Platten pyramids are making impression with their forceful nature. In comparison with these three groups, the Cislano Earth Pyramids (also called Piramidi di Zone) are occupying a bit smaller area, but the best specimen are certainly matching the most beautiful pyramids in the other three groups. The highest tower is more than 30 m tall, has a base of some 8 m in diameter, and the block of hard rock, covering it, has some 4 m in diameter. That tower is surrounded by a few incredibly slim spires, where you can only admire how they don't collapse in the first wind.

The origin of pyramids was explained on other pages. In short, soft conglomerate, deposited in the ice ages since some 150.000 years ago, has been washed away by erosion, but where boulders of harder rock are covering it, the spires below are protected from rain - until the "hats" stay up there in balance.

Getting There

Cislano is a small village in a side valley above the eastern shore of Lake Iseo. It belongs to the community of Zone. From Marone, on the lake shore, Cislano is connected by a good, in some sections narrow asphalted road. There is also a Marone - Zone bus connection, but busses are not frequent. In the village there are free parking places and also the entry into the "Parco Regionale delle Piramidi di Zone" is free of charge (2019).

Otherwise the area belongs to the broader mountain massif of Corna Trentapassi.

The Hike

Å iramidi di Zone map
Piramidi di Zone map

There is a marked round trail through the Natural reserve, with many explanatory plates, teaching you about the geology, fauna and flora. You can start the tour either above in the village or on the lookout point #3, on the main road (a small parking place nearby). The round tour is a 1 hour outing and the path is easy (T2/T1 on the Swiss Hiking Scale).

From the village you take the counter clockwise direction. Through the gate you enter the Natural Reserve and proceed by a good, comfortable path, detouring a nice meadow. Then the path starts descending and you soon reach the panoramic point #1. There's a fine view on pyramids from above. Then the path descends in many switchbacks in the southwards direction. You lose some 150 m of altitude and reach a fork in the ravine. There deter left and ascend to the place just below the most beautiful pyramids (lookout point #2). From below the highest tower you't want to enter the area among spires, but there are no paths and going there is prohibited. Visit those 2-3 official lookout points and then continue the tour. The path ascends further up to the road and the nearby lookout point #3, which offers the distant view on pyramids. From there you go up to the village by a nice marked path, wich follows the Ancient Roman road - Via Valeriana. It's a special feeling to walk by a 2000 years old trade route!

In Cislano it's worth visiting also the 12th century San Giorgio church, with a 15th century fresco on the outside wall, showing the saint slaying a dragon.

Earth pyramids near Cislano
Seen from the distance - from the road
Earth pyramid near Cislano
The big spire (30 m)
Earth pyramid near Cislano
A very slim example


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Corna TrentapassiCustom Objects