Col de l'Iou-south

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.84198°N / 0.44465°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the shortest route to reach the summit of Peyreget but is less frequented because the route of south face is less evident and the slope is hardest. As well it's a very good option to the descent if you climb using the route normal from Pombie.

Time: 2h to summit +1h 30 min to descent
Slope: 740 meters.


Getting There

The same trailhead in Cabanne d'Araille (1740m) near of col du Portalet.
See the main page to approach.

Route Description

The route it's the same to Col de Soum de Pombie, see normal-Pombie to approach to the col.

In the Col de Soum de Pombie (2110m, 1h) we'll follow the signal to Col de l'Iou (left, west) across a little path among the south green hillside of the points 2322m and 2242m (peaks without name at east of Peyreget). Behind this summits, in left side, we'll see the rocky main summit of Peyerget.
The path is easy, almost horizontal, to reach the bottom of the south face of Peyreget in direction to the evident col in front of us (col de l'Iou). A few of meters before of the col we had 2 alternatives to reach the summit:

a) ramp south: direct, the shortest route following some cairns (difficult to see, and specially in foggy day... really with fog it's not advisable). We'll gain little by little height in the hard ramp south with a walk-up, leaving the rocks in right side, to reach the summit of Peyreget (2487m, 2h).

Col de PeyregetCol de Peyreget

b) col de l'Iou: a little more long but interesting walk. We'll follow to the Col de l'Iou (2190m) and we'll descent to north to the lake of Peyreget (2075m) in a nice place. In the lake we'll turn to east (right) to walk to Col de Peyreget (2320m). From there it's the same walk of normal route across the ramp north to arrive to the summit (2487m, 2h 30 min).

For the descent you can use the other alternative or the normal route across Pombie.

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice-axe in some days of winter to climb the hard ramps.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

PeyregetRoutes