Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 37.55329°N / 118.86108°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering, Ice Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sunrise on Red Slate Mtn....Lake Dorothy, Red Slate Mtn.

In a range that contains some of the most recognizable mountain features in the world, Convict Creek Basin is one of the most beautiful and least known parts of the Sierra Nevada. It gets so little use (partly because it’s trails don’t interconnect with others in the range) that it is one of the few trailheads that don’t have daily quotas.
[img:174704:alignleft:small:West side of Mt. Morrison]
Convict Creek's unfortunate name originates from the days of the wild-wild west when a gang of desperados who had escaped from a Carson City prison holed up in the canyon. The ensuing shootout with a posse resulted in the death of the lawmen’s leader, Robert Morrison (for whom the mountain on the east side of Convict Canyon was named). The convicts were either killed in the shootout, or captured and lynched on the trip back to jail.

It is Convict Creek’s unique geology that creates the colorful, surreal scenery that differs from the rest of the Sierra that is dominated by light colored granite. In this area the sedimentary and metamorphic rocks that once overlaid the entire range have not been eroded away to reveal the underlying granite that uplifted the range. During formation of the Sierras, magma rose from great depths rose and obliterated much of the sedimentary rock that it encountered. Just below the surface, the magma cooled and formed the granite typical of the range. However heat and pressure deformed the immediately overlying sedimentary rocks into unimaginable shapes. Also of geologic interest are evidence of glacial activity including, terminal, lateral, and recessional moraines, glacial striations and polish, erratic boulders, and of course the numerous lakes.

[img:174736:alignleft:small:Lake Genevieve, Bloody Mountain]
The scenery (and the horse s***) starts right at the trailhead with a view of Mount Morrison’s (“the Eiger of the Sierra”) spectacular north face towering more than 3,000 ft. above the lake. The first mile of the trail traverses the north side of Convict Lake, heading directly at the Sevehah Cliffs on Laurel Mountain. These cliffs were formed when flat sediments were tilted to vertical (and beyond) by rising magma. These dramatic cliffs have been featured as backdrops in a Star Trek movie and in TV advertisements for beer and cars.

[img:143192:alignleft:small:Lake Dorothy, Red Slate Mtn.]
At the end of Convict Lake there is less horse evidence as the trail climbs with a few switchbacks and enters Convict Canyon between Mt. Morrison and the Sevenhah Cliffs. For the next 5 miles the trail rises about 2,000 feet in the canyon that cuts through bizarrely twisted layers of sedimentary and metamorphic rocks colored red, orange, yellow, white, brown, and green. There is one stream crossing that can be difficult in early season when the stream is high. At Mildred Lake, just below tree line, the canyon opens into a basin of scenic glacial lakes including: Bright Dot, Dorothy, Genevieve, Edith, Mildred and Cloverleaf. Use trails and easy cross-country routes interconnect the lakes. The basin is surrounded by colorful peaks including the White Fang, Mt. Baldwin, Red Slate Mountain, and Bloody Mountain.


Getting There

[img:271190:alignleft:small:Convict Lake, Sevehah Cliffs]
Access to this area is from trailhead at Convict Lake, which can be reached from US395 via the Convict Lake Rd, just south of the Mammoth airport. Convict Lake is a popular recreation lake, primarily for fishing. There is a "resort" there, complete with a restaurant, horse and boat rentals, general store, rental cabins, and a car camping area.

The closest parking is at the end of the road at the north end of the lake. However, this parking is for day use only. Overnight parking is available a few hundred yards back from the northeast corner of the lake.

Red Tape

There are no fees for overnight parking at Convict Lake, and a Wilderness permit is needed if staying overnight in the John Muir Wilderness.

Everything you need to know about permits and regulations can be found on the Eastern Sierra - Logistical Center page.

Camping

Camping is allowed most places in the John Muir Wilderness. The first mile of the trail is outside the Wilderness and part of the Inyo National Forest, and there are no permits needed if camping in the NF. No fires are permitted above 10,000 feet.

When to Climb

Climbing can be done any time of year, but usually in April-Oct when there is less snow on the peaks. Because of the relatively loose rock, climbing and scrambling are not as pleasurable as in the rest of the Sierra. Please refer to the individual mountain pages for routes and details.

Mountain Conditions

The Mammoth Lakes Visitor Center & Ranger Station can provide the latest information on trail and climbing conditions, and provide free Wilderness permits for overnight stays in the John Muir Wilderness. When driving into the town of Mammoth Lakes, the ranger station is located on the north (right) side of SR203 about 2 miles west of highway 395 half a mile before the intersection with Old Mammoth Road.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

John Muir WildernessAreas & Ranges