Cottonwood Lakes Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.57860°N / 118.293°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tired of getting in traffic jams at trailside meadows? Try a new, multi-day approach. Not only will you see less people, you will also be more aclimatized. It is best if you shuttle or use two cars because the start and end are 13 miles apart.

Getting There

Head up Whitney Portal road, and possible leave a car at Whitney Portal. Turn left on Horseshoe Meadows road and follow it all the way to Cottonwood Lakes trailhead.

Route Description

You have two choices. You can either go by the Cottonwood Lakes and over New Army Pass or head up to Cottonwood Pass and catch the PCT. The New Army Pass Route meets the PCT near Mount Guyot. Follow the PCT to Crabtree and turn right onto the John Muir Trail. At trail crest, turn left on the Whitney tail and proceed to summit. Return to Whitney Portal via the main Whitney trail. The hike is about 40 miles. PLEASE NOTE: New Army Pass can be snowed in through June and early July.

External Links

Conditions

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.