Cracker Jack

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.88060°N / 81.886°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.8
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Cracker Jack is the first route encountered, and usually the first passed by, when approaching the main climbing area at Table Rock. Take the tourist trail from the parking lot, turn right, onto the climbers trail, then take the first secondary trail leading up and left. A short steep walk up the hill will lead to the base of the route.

Route Description

Unlike the majority of routes at Table Rock, Cracker Jack is south facing. It rewards one with a commanding view of the Linville Gorge, the Amphitheater, and Shortoff Mountain in the distance.The final pitch is one of the best chimneys in North Carolina. I have always enjoyed ending a long weekend of climbing here, with a final climb up Cracker Jack.
P-1 starts with a tricky boulder move off the ground. I like to move from here to the first small ledge and belay. This ledge is only thirty feet or so from the ground but can protect the second from a potential ground fall. P-2, follow the obvious cracks and small ledges to the roof where a good belay/rapell station is located. P-3, I have seen at least one person climb up and over the roof, I prefer to move right, and around a short, airy corner, then up to the base of the first chimney. P-4, the leader should move his or her entire rack to the left, as any gear on the right will get hung in the chimney. Move directly out and over your second, using a right hand jam. A #4 or #5 freind will make things much more comforting! Topping out of this first chimney will lead to a fabulous second chimney. This is a full body jam to the top.
Entering is tricky!
It's best to face south...

Essential Gear

A standard set of nuts and cams, with lots of runner for preventing rope drag. Bring at least two big freinds, #4, #5, for the chimney....

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.