Jim Dandy

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.89043°N / 81.88222°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.5 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 3
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jim Dandy is a three pitch rock climb on the East Face of Table Rock in Linville Gorge in North Carolina. While a great deal of the climbing in Linville Gorge is set on the gorge walls, Table Rock sets proud on the top of the ridge. The East Face is the most massive feature and is visable from miles away.

Jim Dandy starts in the middle of the face and climbs up and right to a large ledge disceting the face at about 250' above the ground.

It is a great climb with great exposure, albiet a little run-out by some standards.

Table Rock
Table Rock from the East

Getting There

As for all the East Face routes, head North from the Table Rock parking lot on the white blazed trail. In about 5 minutes, you'll find the first trail splitting off to the right next to a rock pile serving a a 3 foot tall retaining wall. Take this trail cutting East under the South Face.

About 20 yards up the trail there will be another trail to the left, heading to the South End of Table Rock. For the East Face, stay on the main trail that will turn and run under the East Face.

After hiking along the base of the face for about 150 yards, the huge left facing dihedral and slab of "Peek-a-Boo" will be visible. Jim Dandy start just right of this. There are wooden rail-road ties serving as stairs juest below the route.

GPS UTM for the start of the route
UTM 17 420377E 3972155N (NAD27)

Route Description

The first pitch goes straight up, past three bolts to the large pine tree about 60 feet up. The first bolt is about 20' off the deck, just left of a small roof. Just right of the tree there is a two-bolt anchor belay on the comfy ledge. This is the crux pitch at 5.5ish.

Jim Dandy First Pitch
Looking up at the first pitch.


The second pitch goes up and right off the ledge to a small ramp. DO NOT go straight right to a bolt 3 feet above the ledge, this is another route. Once you climb up off the ledge, then right on the ramp, there will be a few bolts going up just right of a large roof to another two-bolt anchor belay at a good stance. This pitch is about 5.4-5.

Pitch 2 of Jim Dandy
Starting the second pitch.


The last pitch leaves the belay heading right past a bolt then up toward the left end of the huge tree covered ledge. This pitch has only one bolt, but will take a piece of gear and has a slingable tree near the end if needed. This pitch is exposed, but is no harder than low 5th class (4th class or 5.0)

Second Belay on Jim Dandy
Looking down at the second belay from the third pitch on Jim Dandy


Jim Dandy Topo
Route Topo. Click for full size image.

Essential Gear

This route can be climbed with nothing but quickdraws for protection. I used one additional nut on the third pitch. Be sure and bring enough runners, biners, and lockers for the belays.

A 50 meter rope will suffice.

Bring a small trad rack if you intend to climb Cave Route or My Route after Jim Dandy.

Descent

Once on the ledge, there are three obvious continuations to Jim Dandy. One can walk off the big ledge heading North, or climb to the top of Table Rock via My Route or the last pitch of Cave Route to Lightning Ledge (with a 3rd/4th class walk-off that may be rope worthy in places).

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 27, 2015 6:57 pm - Hasn't voted

North from parking

Thanks for this informative page. I climbed this route a couple days ago, and your directions, pictures, and details were much better than what I found on Mountain Project.

sshankle

sshankle - Jul 2, 2015 5:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: North from parking

Oops! Duh. Fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.