Crowbar Crag, 5.7-5.11c

Crowbar Crag, 5.7-5.11c

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.09630°N / 115.3164°W
Seasons Season: Summer
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Slow Turning

Crowbar Crag, left, is a couple of more walls in from House of Cards, 4th bolted wall on your left. It has a short section on the far end that angles up and west, thus the name Crowbar. You are looking for another section to start with just like House of Cards. It starts off with a couple of short routes and then the wall opens up to multi pitch length.

Route Description

Slow Turning

Routes listed from left to right as you face the wall.

First Section Short Routes
Lougheed the Great- 5.7- This is the only 5.7 you will find in Cougar Canyon. This is the first route you come to. Three bolts to station.
Depth Charge- 5.11b
Diptheria- 5.10b

Main Section Short Routes
Terminal Velocity- 5.11a
Blockhead- 5.9- Two bolts, follow the corner to the left upper station. Just at the beginning of the main section.
Block Buster- 5.11a
Doppler Effect- 5.11c

Main Section Long Routes
Shockwave- 5.10d
Surface Tension- 5.11b
Critical Mass- 5.10c
Susie Q- 5.11c
Island Experience- 5.11a
Islands in the Stream- 5.9- My 2nd favorite so far at Crowbar Crag. The start is at the far right of Crowbar. Four bolts to a ledge and first station. At least 2 bolts to finish 2nd pitch. One 60 meter rope will get you to the ground from there. This is a left diagonal line that starts with Argon, but moves left under a couple of trees.
Face Value- 5.10b- Fun route that splits off of Islands in the Stream and goes straight up, right of the trees for 8 bolts on the 2nd pitch.
Argon- 5.10a- My favorite route on Crowbar Crag. Islands in the Stream fist pitch and then follow the far right bolted line for at least 7 bolts to the summit of the crag. The last few are the crux on this route.
Mean Street- 5.11a

Right Section Routes
Jack of Clubs- 5.10b
Sleeping Dog- 5.10a
Slow Turning- 5.10a- Pretty easy going 10a with crux towards top on a small overhang of sorts. Don't get sucked left even thought the anchor is over there. Go over top. Run out, but on easy ground in the middle of this route. (photos)

Essential Gear

At least one 60 Meter Rope, Helmet, Climbing Shoes, Some Gear (mostly bolted sport routes though), The Local Guide Book (Sport Climbs in the Canadian Rockies) and these Topo Maps.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Cougar Creek Rock ClimbsMountains & Rocks