Dôme du Goûter (Bosses Ridge)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.83270°N / 6.86430°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: PD-/PD+ Snow up to 35deg
Sign the Climber's Log
Early morning on the way to...
View to the summit from Dôme du Goûter
Photo by Bor


 

Bellow the les Bosses, big...
Bosses Ridge

Overview

A row of climbers on the last...
On a crowded day

One of the, if not the, most popular routes on Mont Blanc. First climbed by Leslie Stephen, Francis Fox Tuckett, Melchior Anderegg, Johann Bennen and Peter Perren on 18th July, 1861. Although fairly easy, the climb is not without danger, the most obvious being crossing the Grand Couloir on the approach. The Bosses ridge itself is very narrow and passing manuveurs between climbers can be tricky. Expect many people on the climb, not all of whom will have good manners, unfortunately. Finally, it is exposed to the winds, which can make progress diffiuclt, if not dangerous. Always be aware of the quickly changing weather.

Two of the other normal routes, the Grand Mulet and the Gonella junction into this route.





Approach

The sketch of the route...
Aiguille du Goûter route sketch
Toughest section of Gouter...
Snowy conditions.

The route is normally climbed from either the Tête Rousse at the base of the Aiguille du Goûter or the Goûter Hut which is located at the top of the Aiguille du Goûter.

In brief, the approach is as follows:

From Chamonix, one takes the bus or drives to Les Houches. At Les Houches, a cable car goes to Nid d'Aigle(2386m) from which a trail leads to the Tête Rousse Glacier, passing the Tête Rousse hut along the way. One can chose to stay at the Tête Rousse hut, however, most continue on. At the base of the final slope of the Aiguille du Goûter, a trail leads to the Grand Couloir. The couloir is narrow and the rockfall here is frequent.


It is also possible to climb the rock rib north (left) of the couloir. This way is only slightly more difficult. The Goûter hut sits on the west side and just under the summit of the Aiguille du Goûter at 3817m 4 to 6hours from Nid d'Aigle.

The most difficult part of the approach is the ascent of the Aiguille du Goûter.

For greater detail of the approach and the route up the Aiguille du Goûter, see the following SP pages:

Tête Rousse Hut

Refuge du Goûter

Aiguille du Goûter

Route Description

Ascent to Monte Bianco.7/2005
Bosses Ridge

From the Goûter hut climb the broad snow ridge to the summit of the Dôme du Goûter (4303m). A slight descent takes one to the Col du Goûter (4240m). Now continue up a steepening slope, passing the Vallot Hut along the way. The slope turns into a narrower and steeper ridge that leads to snowy ridge bumps, the Grande Bosse (4513m) and the Petite Bosse(4547m). After that the ridge becomes very narrow and leads past the rock of La Tournette (4677m). A final steep slope brings one to the summit.

In most case, route finding is not hard - just follow the deep track and the long line of people. Where the Bosses ridge is very narrow, passing descending climbers as well as inconsiderate people can make this part unpleasant.

4 to 5 hours from the Gouter Hut.

The route is known to be very windy but with few crevasses.
 

Mont Blanc
Near the summit

This site has maps of the route.

Albums with numerous photos:

Gouter Route

Bosses Ridge

Aiguille du Goûter Normal Route

Descents

There are several options for the decent.

1) Back down the Dôme du Goûter route. If you are planning to descend all the way to the valley, bear in mind that if planning to cross the Grand Couloir, it will at the most dangerous time of day. Also note when the last cable car descends to the valley.

2) Down the Grand Mulet route, which is noted for its many crevasses.

3) Down the Italian side on the Gonella route.

4) Traverse over M. Maudit and Mont Blanc du Tacul to the Aiguille du Midi. If planning this traverse, it is best to leave the Goûter hut at about midnight.

If you are planning to descend by a different route from the Dôme du Goûter route, be sure to have studied the maps and conditions carefully and attempt a traverse only in the best of weather.

Essential Gear

Rope, harness, crampons, jumars and/or prusiks. Extra clothing and skin protection. Be prepared for any type of weather!

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Diego Sahagún

Diego Sahagún - Sep 24, 2013 2:56 pm - Voted 9/10

Accidentologie dans le couloir du Goûter, sur la voie normale du mont Blanc

http://www.fondation-petzl.org/userfiles/Etude-Accidents-Gouter_A4-leger%281%29.pdf

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.