Dawson Saddle

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.35860°N / 117.7636°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the Angeles Crest Highway 45 miles from La Canada (5 1/2 miles past Islip Saddle) to Dawson Saddle, 7901 ft. elevation, and the highest point of the Angeles Crest Highway. There is a brown highway maintenance shed on the north side of the road at Dawson Saddle. A National Forest Adventure Pass is required for your vehicle while parked in this area. Find the trail leading up from the south side of the highway about 100 yards east of the maintenance shed.

Route Description


There is not much water along this route, so be sure to bring enough H2O to get you through this 10 mile round-trip hike. The trail-head is at approximately 7,900 feet, and you will gain about 1,500 feet of altitude on your way to the summit.

Be sure to follow the signs to Baden-Powell. This route will take you past the Throop Peak turnoff and Mount Burnham before you reach the Baden-Powell summit. One of the signs that you encounter says "Baden-Powell - 2 Miles", but it seems to be a little off (it is a little further than that), so don't get too excited when you see it.

Bring a camera to take pictures of "The Waldron tree" as you near the summit. It is believed to be over 1,500 years old. You are getting very close to the summit now.

Enjoy the view from the summit, then return via the same route that you came from.

Another option after summiting is to take the trail to Vincent Gap. Of course, this would require a second vehicle to shuttle back to Dawson Saddle.

Essential Gear


Be sure to bring enough water and food/snacks.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.