Decker Peak Comments

IdahoKidUntitled Comment

IdahoKid

Good page Sean. I've never been into that particular area of the Sawtooth but I've heard bad things about that road.

Would you say its better to bike in? Thats what I've recommended for my peaks out Wildhorse.

Sean
Posted Jan 17, 2006 9:42 am

SawtoothSeanUntitled Comment

SawtoothSean

You'll need a 4WD vehicle with clearance to get in. I have seen sedans back there, but you risk bottoming out. The main challenge is big boulders in the road. It's not really steep. If you have a mtn bike, you could park out closer to ID-75 and bike the 5 miles. Thanks for looking.
Posted Jan 17, 2006 12:04 pm

brendonUntitled Comment

brendon

Gotta make my way out there... the Tetons are too close here, though, and are a distraction.
Posted Jan 17, 2006 10:10 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Very nice work.
Posted Jan 17, 2006 12:17 pm

ScottUntitled Comment

Scott

Another nice page. SP is becoming the source for info on the Sawtooths.
Posted Jan 17, 2006 12:22 pm

Lee StammUntitled Comment

Lee Stamm

Your customary nice job.
Posted Jan 17, 2006 12:57 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Excuse my ignorance but what are tarn lakes? That summit looks like it might not be too much fun to scramble up - too many loose (presumably) rocks.
Posted Jan 17, 2006 3:49 pm

SawtoothSeanUntitled Comment

SawtoothSean

I know- there are regional terms for certain mountainous features. A Tarn lake is basically an alpine lake with mostly rock surrounding it. It's usually formed from snowmelt. Another term that is used in the Western US is cairn (pile of rocks) whereas back East they say "ducks" I'm sure there are European terms that differ from American, but mean the same. Be fun to come up with a list.

Thanks for looking at the page!
Posted Jan 17, 2006 7:54 pm

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

Another beauty.

Posted Jan 17, 2006 5:09 pm

vvujisicUntitled Comment

vvujisic

Beautiful area, specially the lakes!
Posted Jan 18, 2006 8:10 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Wow! Another Sawtooths beauty. Thanks for sharing Sean.

Radek
Posted Jan 25, 2006 3:05 pm

splattskiDifferent east side approach

splattski

Hi Sean-
When we hiked up to the base of Decker, we followed Huckleberry Creek, the drainage north of Hell Boring. The approach is easy, on a flat road on Decker Flats. The trail is in pretty good shape once you find it- just head west/northwest across the flats toward the obvious ridge. Can't miss it. We figure that although you spend more time walking, you spend a lot less driving- so in terms of time, it's a wash.
Posted Feb 11, 2008 8:40 pm

SawtoothSeanRe: Different east side approach

SawtoothSean

Thanks for that tip-I'll be sure to check that out because that road is brutal on the vehicle and bladder, plus I always like to check out new approaches.

This summer I'm looking to get back to the spectacular ridge just WNW of the Finger and climb the Birthday Cake / Red Bluff (5.6), the Sentry (5.5) and the Coffin (Aid). These can all be done in one day from what I can tell (reconnaissance hike last year to the ridge). Do you have any experiences / information / interest in these?
Posted Feb 11, 2008 9:07 pm

splattskiRe: Different east side approach

splattski

Sean-
No info, but some interest. Contact me off-line? My website has my email address.
Posted Feb 15, 2008 8:53 am