Del Campo Climb

Del Campo Climb

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Unnamed Image
The fog added ambiance to Del Campo's many gendarmes.
Friends in High Places

Me and Nate got up early and were on our way by 5:30, Memorial Day, on our journey through the Mountain Loop Highway. The idea was to climb Del Campo and then practice crevasse rescue techniques in the same day, thus we brought harnesses, rope, slings, etc.
I expected the conditions to be easy, as I visited Del Campo about a month ago by myself on a beautifully cloudless day with excellent, if still very thick, snow conditions.
I made it up most of the way, only to be scared off the summit cone by falling ice and rock when I was alone and helmetless.

This time, though, we got a full taste of ridiculous Cascade weather: there was thick overcast, smothering fog and high winds, rain, snow, sleet, moments of brilliant sunshine, and a double rainbow throughout the course of the day. As the great Fred Beckey says, the weather in the Cascades is actually very predictable: either it's raining, or it will be soon.

Del Campo Trailhead
At the Weeden Creek trailhead, a mile up the closed Monte Cristo road.
The trail was steep but relatively short, as it always is, and the snow started at the first big gully directly below the peak, as it usually does in late spring and summer.
Looking Up
Looking up at Del Campo
Still Looking Up
Looking up at the peak from much closer now, where the snow started
Conditions were much harsher than I expected. Though the snow was fairly firm and nice for the most part, it no longer covered everything nicely and evenly like it did a month ago. We followed the trail as far as we felt like, but the snow had melted in bizarre and delicate shapes on and around the trail, making progress this way difficult.
So we struck off to find our own route. As always, route finding on Del Campo is a bit of a challenge in late spring, though the snow still covered enough of the cliffs, waterfalls and slippery slopes to let us weave around obstacles on the snow.
Going up
On our way to the top of the ridge
I had intended to reach Gothic Basin at the low point on its edge closest to Del Campo, where the standard route up the southwest ridge of Del Campo starts, but we started cutting up too early and met the ridge in the middle instead. This route was fine for the most part, and actually more direct, but there were several very steel sections of snow interspersed with deep treewells and rockwells, one of which Nate fell into (without major injury) on the descent through the mushy, slippy afternoon snow. From what I can remember, this can be avoided on the way up by traversing farther to the left (south) before starting straight up the ridge in late spring.
Ridge
Nate celebrating our intersection with the ridge, at a relatively cool high point (not really possible to see on the camera)
Then we continued up the standard route up to the notch below the summit.
Unnamed Image
Heading up to the notch

Unnamed Image
The fog, though it obscured views, provided a cool ambiance to Del Campo's many gendarmes, and gave the climb a sense of alpine adventure.

When we reached the rock scrambling section, we left behind our ice axes and scrambled up to the left of the notch (don't go into the notch). Though wet with snowmelt and painfully exposed, the scrambling, class 3/4, was pretty easy, with many handholds and footholds.


Finally, we got to the summit snowfield. I had expected the route was too steep to hold snow for long, but here we found ourselves confronted with probably a 55 degree snowfield. As a slip in such an exposed place could be deadly, we agreed to scramble back down and grab the ice axes, and then I suggested we use the pickets and rope and actually pitch it out. It was at this point we were actually snowed on by little ice pellets that looked and sounded practically like styrofoam, which then started to roll down the slope and bury our stuff at the bottom.
Unnamed Image
The summit snowfield
We used münter and sitting hip belays, with the pickets as deadmans, until the summit was reached, literally JUST IN TIME for a miraculous and short-lived clearing of the clouds.
Unnamed Image
Gothic Basin and snowcovered Foggy Lake from Del Campo summit
Unnamed Image
The route we came up (the notch we avoided is visible)
Unnamed Image
Weeden creek valley, which we came up
We downclimbed, and then plunge-stepped our merry way down in the face of returning clouds.
Unnamed Image
Nate scrambling down
Unnamed Image
Going down with views
Unnamed Image
A last look at Gothic Peak
We were the first people to sign the summit register since October. I don't know if the peak was climbed in winter, but it certainly hasn't been recently. We found no tracks anywhere, nor did we meet anyone on the trip. I'm not sure why, because this was a badass trip on a badass mountain! The summit snowfield probably could be ascended without a belay, very carefully, but I didn't regret having one because it was good practice anyway.
And anyway, the snowfield will probably be melted out in a few weeks. Cheers to my friend Nate for an excellent trip.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Del Campo PeakTrip Reports