Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 19, 2020
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Del Campo peak (June 19th 2020)

I went up Del Campo on June 19th. It took me (moving time) ~2h to get to Gothic basin, ~2h to get up and down Del Campo then ~1h40 to go down to the trailhead. There was no problems on the flat section alongside the South Fork Sauk river. Then some fallen trees and crossings when I started going up in the switchbacks but really nothing too challenging. Beautiful views at km ~4.5-5.0 (when transitioning to above treeline), mostly snow free except for some snow bridges when crossing the big streams coming from the basin (need to be careful in a few days - see pictures). After the streams then the trail gets fully covered in snow, with some traverses to get to the basin. I then went up straight to the peak. There might have been another person or group up there earlier in the season but the tracks were covered and I had to break trail again until the beginning of the scramble. The last section on snow is quite steep so I definitely recommend an ice axe. Be careful transitioning from snow to rock. Then the scramble was fun, with very big holds and not too sketchy. I was the only one up there that day, but I would be careful with other people/groups since there is a bunch of loose tiny rocks that can easily fall. I have posted GPS track, photos and a bunch of other info on ActionPacked.



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Del Campo PeakTrip Reports