Welcome to SP!  -
Democrat-Lincoln-Bross Circuit
Trip Report

Democrat-Lincoln-Bross Circuit

Democrat-Lincoln-Bross Circuit

Page Type: Trip Report

Location: Colorado, United States, North America

Lat/Lon: 39.35140°N / 106.1108°W

Object Title: Democrat-Lincoln-Bross Circuit

Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 12, 2004

Activities: Hiking

Season: Summer


Page By: Andy

Created/Edited: Jun 15, 2004 / Feb 15, 2006

Object ID: 169411

Hits: 8324 

Page Score: 71.06%  - 1 Votes 

Vote: Log in to vote


This trip report isn’t terribly interesting or exciting. The one useful part might be my split times for anyone curious about how long this hike takes. I'm a reasonably fit guy and I was moving as fast as was comfortable for me without killing myself.

I left my house in Fort Collins at about 3:45 and headed down to Alma via I-70 and Breckenridge instead of US285 and Fairplay. I’m not sure which is faster but I figured with no traffic the I-70 route was probably faster. Anywho, I made it to the trailhead a little before 7:00. I got my gear together and hiked away from the car at 7:00.

I set a steady pace and made my way up past the old mining cabin ruins and up towards the saddle between Democrat and Cameron. Along the way there were a couple of snowfields to cross, but for the most part the trail was completely clean. I plugged along and made it to the saddle at 8:00. The view down the other side was very nice with a snow-covered Traver Peak sitting across a wide valley.

I then turned up Democrat and continued to plod along. I passed a guy from Denton, Texas and we chatted for a minute. Denton is the hometown of my favorite band Slobberbone so we chatted about music and then I continued on. I made the summit at 8:30 and paused to take a few snapshots and have a snack. After the quick break I turned around and retraced my path back down to the saddle between Democrat and Cameron, arriving at 9:00.

It had been pretty cool and breezy all morning but as I began to ascend Cameron the wind began to pick up some. I was afraid my cowboy hat would blow away and my ears were getting a little cold so I stopped to put my stocking cap on instead. After that I continued to chug along, reaching the summit of Mount Cameron at 9:45.

Atop Cameron I paused for a quick snack and then set off for Lincoln. I was surprised at how close it was and it only took me fifteen minutes to reach the summit of Mount Lincoln at 10:00. On the summit I met a group of guys that had come up from the Quartzville Trailhead.

After a short rest to admire the view I resumed my circuit and began to retrace my steps back toward Cameron. The wind had been steadily increasing since I’d left Cameron and now there were flurries in the air. I was getting cold so I stopped to get out my shell and a pair of fleece gloves. I continued on skirting around Cameron on my way to Bross. As I hiked along the Bross-Cameron saddle the wind and snow increased until it was snowing very hard and visibility was down to only one hundred meters or so. It was 10:30 and I was about halfway between Bross and Cameron. I expected the snow squall to blow through quickly so I held off on putting more cloths on. However, I finally relented as the wind was really cutting through my light convertible pants and I put on my Gore-Tex pant on over my others. With my clothing adjustment I continued on toward the summit and as I got near the top the squall began to pass, the snow eased, and the visibility increased. The wind continued to blow pretty hard though.

I made the summit of Mount Bross at 11:00 just as another group of hikers arrived from Kite Lake. We snapped each other’s photos and I had a quick snack before beginning my descent back down to Kite Lake. I headed south looking for a likely place to do some scree skiing. I found what looked good and began my rapid descent straight down the slope. The first part of my descent wasn’t as easy as I had hoped because the rocks where a little too big – the size ranged from bricks to a deck of cards. However, after the first hundred yards or so I reached some finer stuff (ping pong ball size and smaller) and I cruised down the slope losing over a thousand feet of elevation in a matter of a few minutes.

My path eventually brought me to a large snow-filled gully. Unfortunately the snow wasn’t soft enough, and the slope wasn’t steep enough to offer a great glissade but I made several nice short ones down the gully until it opened up above Kite Lake. At this elevation it had warmed up considerably and I shed a couple of layers as I made my way back down to the car. I arrived back at the car at 12:00.

This hike finished up the Ten-Mile/Mosquito 14ers for me so now it’s on to the Sawatch Range for my one-day 14er trips. However, I think I’m rapidly running out of 14ers that I can hit in a day from Fort Collins.


Democrat from Kite Lake


No comments posted yet.