Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 39.35140°N / 106.1108°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Sep 2, 2005
Activities Activities: Hiking
Mt Democrat (14,148 ft)
Mt Cameron (14,238 ft)
Mt Lincoln (14,286 ft)
Mt Bross (14,172 ft)
9/1/05-9/2/05

Class: 2
Distance: 7 miles
Gain: 3700 ft
Route: Kite Lake

9/1/05
Left COS late afternoon and stopped in Florissant for some dinner. Good dinner and a great sunset as we got back on the road. Uneventful trip to Alma and once we got there we missed the sign for Kite lake and had to turn around. The road really wasn't too bad until about 1/2 mile from the top. After a few tries Dan got the Expedition past the large gully in the road. There were a few other cars at the top. We started setting up the tents in the dark which was not too easy. The stars were amazing, so bright and so many of them. After looking up for so long I felt dizzy, could have been that we were at 12,000 ft. Got into bed sometime between 9 and 10 and fell asleep relatively quickly.

9/2/05
Woke up early to a frost. Felt rather good even though I had slept on a rock. I heated up my MRE and loaded my unneeded items into the car. After breakfast we started up the trail with a group in front of us and a group just behind us. We caught the people in front of us and the people behind us caught us. We checked out an old mining building about 12,600ft up. The climb to the Mt. Democrat summit was somewhat challenging since it was fairly steep and we had to hop from boulder to boulder. We stopped at the summit took pictures and had a snack. We shared the summit with another group that we would see all day on other summits. The way down was tough as well going between boulders. Once in the saddle the hike up Cameron was longer than it looked and I was happy to reach the top since there was little gain to go for the rest of the day. We didn't stay long on the Cameron Summit and headed over to Lincoln. This was an easy but interesting climb. I started getting warm so I shed some layers and got another snack. After a while we headed over to Bross with had a partial road running to it most the way. Once on the summit another large group was there. A man unable to use his legs had a special bike and had summited on the bike using his arms to peddle. Amazing. We took pictures and headed back. Going down was a large scree slope which went quickly. After the scree the trail was very rough and not easy going. We finally made it to the flat fields near the lake and then back to the car. Just about 7 hours for the round trip including all our stops at the summits. This was a great area and a great trip with nice weather the whole day.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount LincolnTrip Reports
 
Mount BrossTrip Reports
 
Mount DemocratTrip Reports