Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 46.03330°N / 7.61670°E
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 23, 2008
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Description:

The Dent Blanche 4357m is another Topshot in the Swiss Alps. One of the very high and arduous 4000er. The south ridge (Wandflue ridge) is a combined alpine tour with climbing in the III. partly IV. grade. It alternates rock with snow and ice. The starting point is the de la Dent Blanche hut 3507m. The ascent to the Dent Blanche hut is one of the longest, if not the longest. It must be ascend 1700 metres in altitude to the hut. The Dent Blanche hut is the highest SAC hut in Switzerland.

Our ascent of the Dent Blanche:

A little before five clock, we are start in the Dent Blanche hut 3507m. Immediately after the hut begins a ridge (UIAA II) to the “Wandfluelücke 3701m”. After the snow passage by the "Wandfluelücke" follows another block Ridge (UIAA II) to the point 3882m. About snow and rock passages one get to the “Grand Gendarme 4098m”. Now the climbing comes frequently and persistently. The “Grand Gendarme 4098m” we have bypassed in the west side, where we had good snow on the rise. One goes back to the ridge and climbs or bypasses further towers (gendarme), some climbing into the III. - IV UIAA. The last 100 metres in altitude, from the “White Gendarme”, is a little bit easier, it moves in a snow and rock flank and finally reached the summit with a cross.

Indescribably the feeling one of the most beautiful and demanding 4000er climbed . In principle, any hike, every mountain tour is a experience.
But this demanding and exhausting climb to a 4000er, is a special feeling, they leave a deep impression.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Facts:

> Route: Dent Blanche hut 3507m (SAC Jaman) - Wandfluelücke 3701m - south ridge (Wandflue-ridge) - Grand Gendarme 4097m - Gendarme II - Gendarme III - Dent Blanche - Ferpècle 1828m.

> Difficulty: ZS (AD) / III-IV, Route 350

> Time required: 5-7 hours for the ascent.

> Guide book: "Hochtouren im Wallis" from Hermann Biner or "Clubführer Walliser Alpen No.3 vom Col Collon zum Theodulpass" from Maurice Brandt.

> Our ascent to Dent Blanche: Link to Dent Blanche trip

Dent Blanche 4357mDent Blanche 4357m
Dent Blanche 4357mDent Blanche 4357m

Accommodation:

Dent Blanche hut / Cabane de la Dent Blanche 3507m: Link Dent Blanche hut

Dent Blanche Hut 3507mDent Blanche hut


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Dent BlancheTrip Reports