Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.38338°N / 118.67674°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7000 ft / 2134 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Dihedrals Area








With the profusion of nothing but sport routes on Gecko Wall and some “trad” traditional routes on “Dihedrals,” I have decided to combine the two areas into one page. These two formations are physically connected and this page will have more balance this way.



Pine Creek CanyonPine Creek Canyon













As you drive up Pine Creek Canyon Road, look over your right shoulder and you’ll see so many rock formations. You cannot help but to notice what has come to be known as “Dihedrals” inside a narrow slot canyon. Curiosity will get the better of you and you will want to get closer, even if you are not a climber. Upon entering the slot canyon, you will see that there is a lot more to this canyon than what you saw from the road. What you will see are faces and buttresses of varying heights with some reaching five hundred feet.











On The Way To Pine Creek Canyon
Pine Creek Canyon
On The Way to Pine Creek Canyon
Pine Creek Canyon



Climbs of The Dihedrals

Routes of Dihedrals Area
Dihedrals Area
Dihedrals were what drew you into this canyon to begin with. This is a beautiful formation physically connected to (Ministry Wall) on the left by the means of Pratt’s Crack, and Gecko Wall on the right. Dihedrals embody some of the best trad climbing as well as sport routes that this area has to offer. It has a moderate crack that requires gear placement for protection. It’s called “Sheila” rated at 10a, and it’s a must do.

Dihedrals also offer a bolted climb called “Ecstasy, 13a” that evokes awe and admiration. The smooth and steep arete that you saw from the road was first climbed by Tom Herbert, the son of the famous Yosemite climber T.M. Herbert. He named the climb Ecstasy.


APratt's Crack, 5.9, gear
BEcstasy, {pitch 1, 13a} {pitch 2, 12c} bolts
CCracker, C3+
DSheila, 10a, gear
EEclipsed, {pitch 1, 11d} {pitch 2, 10c}
Dihedrals Area
And then there is Pratt’s Crack. Pratt’s Crack was the first climb that was established in this canyon by another Yosemite original, Chuck Pratt. Many people refer to the entire canyon as “Pratt’s Crack” area. This very wide crack, rated at 5.9, will test your physical and mental abilities. Don’t let the moderate rating fool you. Keeping a cool head knowing that the crack can spit you right off at any time is not an easy thing to do. You can take a truck load of protection, but after you place each piece you have to climb past that piece. Climbing off-width cracks require skills that don’t come easily.

Climbs of Gecko Wall

Routes of the left side, Gecko WallGecko Wall, left side
Routes of the right side, Gecko WallGecko Wall, right side








In contrast to Dihedrals, Gecko Wall is not the best looking rock you have climbed in your life. Gecko Wall, however, offers many difficult sport routes, all in the 5.12 range. What the ratings indicate is that it helps to be, at least in part, a gecko to have much hope to complete any of the pitches here.
Gecko Wall is completely hidden behind “Dihedrals” that juts out into the canyon. Being entirely north facing, Gecko Wall stays in the shade all day thus making it a desirable formation to climb during the warmer seasons. Added to that, it’s situated right next to a running creek that gives you the relief that you need in between burns.




Pine Creek Canyon












By the end of Gecko Wall the most accessible climbing in this canyon ends. There are many route possiblilties beyond Gecko Wall; however, the next established area, as of 2009, is a grueling hike up a steep scree and boulder field that discourages most sport climbers. I have no doubt this area will be developed in the future as well. The obscure trail that winds its way up this steep section is in bad need of improvement, and that will come in time as well. Mike Strassman, the person responsible for this trail, will smile down upon us all from heaven.








FWind In The Willows, {pitch 1, 11d, 9 bolts} {pitch 2, 12d, clip the anchor and continue past 5 more bolts to second anchor}
GPlanetarium, 12a, 7 bolts to anchor
HRage, 12c, 7 bolts to anchor
IAtomic Gecko, 12b, 7 bolts to anchor
JBiohazard, 12a, 6 bolts to anchor
KChronic, 12a, 6 bolts to anchor
LBubonic, 12c, 5 bolts to anchor

Camping

Mount TomView of Mount Tom seen on the Pine Creek Canyon Road.





There is one primitive campground with a few campsites across from the slot canyon. However, there are many more developed campgrounds in the vicinity of Bishop to the south and in the Rock Creek Canyon further north of here.

The following links should help finding a good campsite:

Horton Creek Campground

Rock Creek Canyon

Inyo National Forest


Bishop Creek and vicinity camping

How to get there

From the town of Bishop, California, drive about ten miles north on highway 395 to its intersection with Pine Creek Road & Rovana. Take this exit and continue west on Pine Creek Road past the town of Rovana for about 7.6 miles. You will see many rock formations to your right and a canyon that is very narrow and steep. Drive a bit further till you come to a dirt road. Turn right on this road, then take another sharp turn to the right. This short and rough dirt road will quickly take you to the climbers’ parking area. The trail into the canyon is obvious and shouldn’t take more than ten minutes.

The views you are treated to on your drive up Pine Creek Road are breathtaking. Take a few minutes for a few photos. You will be happy to have them in twenty years.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pratt's Crack AreaMountains & Rocks