Djan Tugan Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Corax

Corax - Feb 6, 2006 9:04 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Hi Michael!

This photo? It's not mine.

I would say it could be from the summit. The whole peak and the surrounding areas were very snowy when I was around, so it looks different, but I would say it can be shot from the summit.

Thanks for the feedback.



I'll have a look at the Kirpich page now.

michaelhaifa

michaelhaifa - Jan 17, 2006 12:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hello, Corax

First of all wish you a good luck in 2006.

On your Djantugan page (which is truly fantastic) you have a picture with a climber wearing a yellow helmet, with Elbrus seen on the background. Caption says that it is a view from the summit. Judging by proximity of mountains around it is likely view from the slope of Djantugan but not from the summit.

By the way I completed my Kirpich page and you might have some suggestions how to improve it.

Take Care!

Michael

Corax

Corax - Feb 6, 2006 9:04 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Hi Michael!

This photo? It's not mine.

I would say it could be from the summit. The whole peak and the surrounding areas were very snowy when I was around, so it looks different, but I would say it can be shot from the summit.

Thanks for the feedback.



I'll have a look at the Kirpich page now.

kola

kola - Jan 8, 2008 5:22 am - Voted 10/10

no more snow in the couloir

On the 4th Aug 2007 there wasn't any snow in the couloir, so the final part was just rocks...quite unstable rocks. The left part seemed easier, and we succesfully followed it to the top. It's good to have a 60m rope for abseiling. There are some webbings around rock blocks, spaced about 30m form each other, but the webbings are old, and blocks unstable, so one should pay attention and check before loading.
and another thing for all of russian border zone caucasus:
if you don't have the valleys mentioned in your visa or invitation, you should go to HQ of border guards in Nalchik and get the permission there. I'll write all the deatils of this procedure sometime this week. It's easy if you know what to do, where to go and prepare some papers at home.

Corax

Corax - Jan 13, 2008 6:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: no more snow in the couloir

Thanks for the input. When you have added the rest of the details, I'll put the info on the page.

Jaco

Jaco - Jul 4, 2019 11:49 am - Voted 9/10

Re: no more snow in the couloir

Hi Corax. Thanks allot for all the info. My father and I are heading for the Valley in the last week of August and this post sure helps allot. The only problem is that I cant seem to access the link to the route descriptions. Also not for Djan Tugan. Can you possibly help me here?

Corax

Corax - Jul 8, 2019 2:42 am - Hasn't voted

Re: no more snow in the couloir

Sorry for the dead links. I have pointed them to the right sources.
You should now be able to access the simple route sketch and a page with more info about the Caucasus.

Jaco

Jaco - Jul 9, 2019 1:59 pm - Voted 9/10

Re: no more snow in the couloir

Thank you Corax, really appreciate it.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Djan Tugan' main page