Douglas Creek

Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 41.13410°N / 106.42029°W
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7480 ft / 2280 m

Overview

Douglas Ck ThTH access road
This Trailhead is located in the Medicine Bow National Forest of Wyoming. It provides access to the Platte River Wilderness, following Douglas Creek from just above the creek’s confluence with the North Platte River, to it’s confluence with Pelton Creek, a distance of 9.3 miles.
At the TH, you’ll find a small dirt parking area with a signboard next to a gate. A very old outhouse is also located at the TH. There is no water at the TH or any where nearby so bring your own or be prepared to filter the otherwise ample wild water supply.
Note: Take everything you need! This TH is 28 miles from a paved road and another 36 miles from the nearest services at Laramie.

Directions

Locator MapLaramie to the TH
Trailhead MapTH detail
From Laramie:
Take Wyoming 230 west for 36 miles to the Foxpark turnoff (FR512). Turn right on to FR512 (the Platte River access Rd). Continue approximately 28 miles to the TH. Delays may be encountered, primarily Monday thru Friday, along this road due to logging operations.

Destinations

TH signboardNot much info on this signboard
Wilderness BoundrySign marking the wilderness boundry
Douglas Creek and it’s environs, which includes the Platte River Wilderness.
Douglas CreekDouglas Creek
Douglas Creek TrailFall colors decorate the trail
The Douglas Creek Trail intersects the Devil’s Gate and Platte Ridge trails approximately 4 miles from the TH.
Platte River WildernessPlatte River Wilderness - Douglas Creek TH approach Rd parallels Douglas Creek in the foreground, North Platte River in background, center. Looking south (upstream)

Camping

Informal camping is available along the North Platte River as well as along the short approach road to the TH.
North Platte River RoadPlatte River Rd looking south. Good camping spots in the trees along the river

Books and Maps

Books
Hiking Wyoming’s Medicine Bow National Forest

Maps
Medicine Bow National Forest

Topos
For the Trailhead and Douglas Creek Tr - Overlook Hill, Elkhorn Point and Horatio Rock

Red Tape

Not a lot here. See Medicine Bow NF

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.