Driskill Mountain, LA 2009

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 21, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Driskill Mountain 6-21-09, Happy Fathers Day!!

This would be Barb’s and my second State Highpoint. I doubt the views from atop the 535 ft mountain in Louisiana will be any where close to the views from the top of Texas, the 8739 ft Guadalupe Peak, but none the less, a State Highpoint is a State Highpoint. We all piled in the car around 2:00 Sunday afternoon (Me, Barb, our daughter Alisa and her friend Sara) and headed east (we were enroute to Saegrove Beach, FL). It took about four hours to make it to the church parking lot and with minimal complaints from the girls we started the short hike up to the summit of Driskill Mountain. I had read the three other trip reports on Summitpost.org and wasn’t quite sure what to expect. One report advised to bring your GPS (which we had since we were geo-caching our way to the top) do to all the logging in the area and others made it sound like there was practically a road to the top with flashing signs…….In reality, the trail was very well marked and actually very scenic. We had more trouble using the “Getting there” directions than following the trail. My recommendation on “Getting there” is to take Exit 69 for Hwy 151 and head south on 151 for about 1.8 miles. From there the rest of the “Getting there” directions are great. It took us about 20 minutes to make the walk/hike to the top of Louisiana. The last couple hundred yards is a bit steep compared to the rest and thus the “hike” part. No view at all due to the lush green trees. Signed the log book, took a few pictures and headed back to the car. Saw several species of dragonflies while making the trek. Some were gold, some black with white wing tips, some green with translucent wings. They were just buzzing around everywhere. The hike down was as uneventful as the hike up. Be careful on the way down........ (it's pretty easy to slip on the upper part of the trail). It was still hot and very humid out even at 7:00 pm so the cars AC was greatly appreciated upon our return.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Driskill MountainTrip Reports