Dune 8860 Comments

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
RyanS

RyanS - May 29, 2008 3:09 pm - Hasn't voted

GPS

So your GPS *did* match up with the terrain? I found that the coordinates were incorrect on Monday.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - May 29, 2008 3:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: GPS

Ryan - actually, we were (per GPS) about 200' off horizontally to the south. The HP was clearly 200ish feet north of where the coords showed the "top". I don't know how much the terrain changes there over time. I know the large dunes are fairly consistent with elevation and location, but I suspect they migrate some. ? Your thoughts?

RyanS

RyanS - May 29, 2008 3:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: GPS

I'm pretty bewildered by it all. Either the maps are wrong, or the dunes have shifted. None of my tracks and waypoints from my hike matched the topo map. The maps don't even match the tracks from when we "waded" Medano Creek with our boots off for the 1.5 miles back to our car. Our tracks indicated we were on the dunefield and not in the midst of the creek.

I tried playing with adjusting my waypoint coordinates by a fixed fraction of a degree, but if I changed it so that the tracks were correct near High Dune, for example, they'd still be incorrect elsewhere through the path. If the dunes are shifting, they don't do so in a uniform fashion, that's for sure.

Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - May 29, 2008 4:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: GPS

I didn't do High Dune this last time, so I couldn't compare coords against the relative location of 8860. We spent a lot of time wandering in the sand, trying to find the HP (terrain *is* difficult to match to maps)...

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Dune 8860' main page