Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.77340°N / 105.5171°W
Additional Information County: Saguache
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 8860 ft / 2701 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

There are 2 ranked dunes (Dune 8860 and High Dune), and 1 named dune (Star Dune). Star is probably the hardest to get to, while 8860 is probably the least climbed because it isn't named, and slightly more obscure to pinpoint. All are worthwhile, especially since you're in the sand already.

Most people climb High Dune:




High Dune from the NEHigh Dune





People dedicated to getting both ranked dunes can take discontinuous ridgelines from High Dune to Dune 8860, then follow Medano Creek back to the original TH.




Medano CreekMedano Creek crossing

Getting There

Take the Medano Pass road as it goes along the east side of the peak, on the east side of the park. The road for Medano Pass is BEFORE the campgrounds, and is not well marked. Drive north on the road - we had two vehicles (one of which had fairly low clearance), so we parked at the infamous Point of No Return. The road continues and gets closer than we parked (you can park .3 miles closer than we did).



From there, head west down to Medano Creek. You will likely need the GPS coordinates to correctly identify which dune is Dune 8860. Keep thoughts of giant worms out of your head.

Red Tape

There is a park admission fee necessary to enter GSNP all year long.

The heat in the middle of the day in the middle of the summer is also probably prohibitive.

Camping

Camping is available in the park.

Pinion Flats

Other area campgrounds

External Links

Great Sand Dunes National Park

Dune 8860

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.