Dune Succession

Dune Succession

I was struck by the ways that grasses, shrubs, and trees steadily colonized the sand dunes. Farther inland, the dunes make up the hills in the northwestern part of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. Even in what seems like "normal" woods, if you get below the top level of soil, it's old sand dunes. This picture shows the process in action, with strips of dune in various stages of succession. Dunes Trail, Sleeping Bear Dune National Lakeshore, June 2007.
Arthur Digbee
on Aug 31, 2007 5:03 pm
Image Type(s): Scenery
Image ID: 331272

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
lcarreau

lcarreau - Oct 5, 2007 1:22 pm - Hasn't voted

REALLY AMAZING...

Until I viewed your photos, I didn't realize this area existed in Michigan. How did these dunes form - are you familiar with the geology?
We have a similar "area of dunes" in the west called Coral Pink Sand Dunes. They are located a short distance WEST of Kanab, UTAH. The next time you make it over this direction, you might want to check them out - VERY INTERESTING! Love all of your photos!!!

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Oct 5, 2007 3:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: REALLY AMAZING...

Thanks for your support! Such destinations are, shall we say, at the edge of what most SPers find appropriate.

There are also dunes in Indiana, very close to Chicago. But the Michigan dunes are better.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2