East Colouir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.10100°N / 106.653°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 3)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "getting there" section.

Route Description


This is a very short hike from the trailhead and can easily be done in an hour for round trip time. From the trailhead, which is on the north side of Highway 82 (across from the parking lot), you can see the cliffs ahead of you that are about a hundred feet or so high. The trail will head towards them and then once you reach the base of the cliffs, turn straight east. Continue up as the trail turns to the north again and you head up the steep and pretty slick East Colouir. I put this route as Class 3, just because it is pretty steep and you'll be heading up a very gravely and tricky surface. This is only a shortlived climb but be very careful, especially on the descent. The views from the top are beautiful and on a clear day if you look hard you can see Aspen. Looking east you can see Independence Pass and straight across the valley looms Green Mountain. The trail climbs about 150 feet in less than a half a mile. The total round-trip distance is about 1.2 miles. This is a beautiful short little hike and makes for good sunrise and sunset hikes. Once you reach the parking lot you can take a few steps down to the Roaring Fork River and check out the beautiful cascade.

Essential Gear


Comfortable shoes, drink and a camera.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.