East Face

East Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.10a (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 12
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A particularly consistent route with every pitch being 5.8 to 5.10 on excellent rock. The only serious drawback is the unprotected 5.9 mantel on the first pitch. A fall here would result in a 30' crater. The route was first attempted by Fred Becky in the mid 60's. His article in Summit inspired Tom Dunwidde and myself to attempt it. We did the 8 mile approach, set our grear out for the next morning and awoke only to discover a raccoon had chewed every coil on our only rope. This resulted in a retreat to the Tetons and the purchase of a new rope. 

A few years later, and many routes wiser, I returned with George Macheel. This time we protected the gear and got an early start. A short snowfield lead to the base of a steep right sloping gully which leads to the start of the route. Ascend the gully for a pitch to the base of a steep wall on the left, traverse left on 5.5 holds 20' to the mantel once standing you are able to place your first protection. A fall on the mantel would be a 30 foot crater due to the steep sloping gully. The rest of the route is straight forward and well protected with a normal rack. We did leave two or three pitons in place. We bivouacked on the only ledge large enough, a perfectly flat triangle at the base of a dihedral. Even the last pitch is great, a hand crack splitting the summit block.

Scott Stewart, George Macheel June 1973

 

 

Getting There

Add Getting There text here.

Route Description

 

Essential Gear

Add Essential Gear text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.