East Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.42900°N / 118.7653°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This is the fastest route up to Mt. Starr. From the Mosquito Flat TH, hike up the Mono Pass trail for about 1/2 mile. Leave the trail anywhere that looks interesting in this broad stretch along the East Face.

Route Description

There is no predefined route or routes on the East Face. It is quite broad, perhaps half a mile wide at the base, and almost starting point can be used. Many interesting class 3 routes can be found as alternatives on this face, along with difficult but short class 4-5 sections if looking for more of a challenge. The East Face is more interesting than taking the trail to Mono Pass, but that isn't saying a whole lot. Most will find the route somewhat of a slog when free of snow. Perhaps its best attraction is as a backcountry ski/snowboard line. Any of several broad chutes make for fine descents when snow-filled and avalanche danger is minimal.

Essential Gear

None needed.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Little Mountain Goat

Little Mountain Goat - Jun 7, 2008 10:18 am - Voted 9/10

difficult

Routefinding on this route is very difficult. I was lucky enough to avoid thescree that many people mention, but was caught on long portions of class 3-4 unprepared.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.