East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.93750°N / 112.9539°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Getting to the base of the mountain might be the crux of the climb. There is a network of roads that skirt the base of the range with access off of ID-28. Unfortunately, most of these roads are high-clearance only, and 4WD might come in handy. Head west from the highway at Eightmile Canyon or at Reno Ditch. Once you get to the road that parallels the range at the base of the mountains, head south. You will pass the signed entrance to Tyler Canyon, Deer Canyon, and finally Cedar Canyon. Take this rough road up until the canyon forks, and head up the north fork. On the USGS topo, the word Cedar is printed in this part of the canyon. Also, look for some rock outcroppings to the right of the road where it forks.

Route Description


Don't let Tom Lopez's book intimidate you. Once you're on the mountain, the route is just as long as any other day climb in central Idaho. From the north fork of Cedar Canyon, hike up the sagebrush slope (visible on the USGS topo with the 7200 contour label) to the top of the ridge. Follow this ridge to point 10248. There are some points at the tree line where you might have to use your hands on the ridge crest. If you want to avoid these Class 3 sections, head to the left side of these rock outcroppings. From point 10248, follow the ridge to the summit, which is the peak to the right. On this saddle, stay below the rock outcroppings that form the ridge and stay to the left. If you stay on the ridge crest, you will run into more exposure.

Round-trip is about 7 miles, with 4000 feet of elevation gain.


Essential Gear


Bring water, as none is available on the route.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.