East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.47130°N / 112.655°W
Additional Information Route Type: class 2 hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From I-15 take the Arbon Valley Exit and turn left (South). Continue on this road for many miles until Knox Canyon road is reached. Turn Right at the large, well marked sign on a good dirt road. Continue on Knox Canyon road until the road makes a dip in the valley. Park at the small, grassy parking area.

Route Description


From the parking area head south on a trail. When the trail cuts to the right (west) continue South cross country up the hill. Continue walking this way until you reach the small canyon. At the canyon, continue south until you reach the ridge immediatley south east of the canyon.

Gain the East ridge and continue to the first false summit. At the first false summit the ridge gets continually steeper as you bypass many rock spires along the way. At the second and main false summit, continue to walk west along a mostly flat ridge to another false summit. This point is listed as "Deep Creek Peak" on USGS quads, but is not the true summit. The highest point is a very short ridge walk away to the South. This summit is listed as "Knox" on the USGS quad and is the true summit. The summit register is found here.

The down climb can be the same as above or one could walk to Knox Canyon Road and back to the vehicle. There are easier ways to access this ridge but it would require travel on private property.

Altogether the hike is around 7 miles with about 3,800 feet of elevation gain.

Essential Gear


Just a simple walk up. There is no water to be found so bring some. It can get very hot in the summer time. This route is ideal for the winter and early spring as it is more easily accessible than the Knox Canyon route. Not a lot of avalanche danger but the snow can get very hard and therefore slippery. I didn't bring an ice axe last time but wished I would have after a very hard and slippery fall on some ice. The wind also hits this peak pretty hard most of the winter.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.