East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.09350°N / 114.9967°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log




East Ridge

From the Redfish Inlet Transfer on the far end of Redfish Lake, there is an immediate junction of trails at the TH. Take the Cramer Lakes Trail for 3/4 of a mile until coming to another fork in the trails. Take the Cramer Lakes trail once again and head up the impressive Redfish Lake Creek Valley.

At two miles from the transfer camp a small and steep valley opens to the northwest through the massive rock walls. Leave the trail here and begin scrambling up the unnamed drainage.

Braxon Peak from the...


The first few hundred feet include some difficult, thick brush and rock. Fortunately, by around 8,000', the forest thins and you'll enter a beautiful hidden alpine valley with a hidden lake. Continue up the drainage and occassionally traversing to the north side to avoid some cliffs.

At 8,400' the valley reaches a small crest and Braxon Peak will come into view directly ahead. Climb 600' up and around additional cliffs and boudlers to the small lakes at the base of Quartzite Peak.

Contour around to the north side of the lake and continue to climb up the small of the valley. Boulder hop, then scree slosh to the saddle east of Braxon Peak. It may be tempting to short through slopes to the west, but the terrain is more hostile than it appears at this point.

At the saddle, turn west and head Braxon's east ridge until reaching a spot where it is easy to drop into the broad basin to the north. Head up the basin until reaching some impassable talus slopes at the head, and gain the east ridge once again.

Just before reaching the summit, contour around to the north side of Braxon Peak to avoid some very slick terrain near the summit. Once on top enjoy this rare broad summit area and wonderful views of the Sawtooth Range.





Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.